T1 for 27 years finally offered a pump, but which to choose?

VP83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have finally been given the green light for a pump after 4 years of requesting. Have done the DAFNE course, know and use my carb ratios, and am all set to attend pump clinic next month. :)

I self fund a Dexcom G6, and have been offered either the Omnipod Dash or the Medtronic 640g, as the only options in my area, both of which sadly cannot open or close loop which would be my goal.

I think I am heading towards the Omnipod because it’s a tubeless system, but don’t know whether to hold out for a few more months for the Omnipod 5 which is rumoured to have a link to Dexcom CGM.

would any current pumpers have any advice they could share with some?

Reactions: T1DM2012

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @VP83, how exciting!
I have the 640g which I use in conjunction with a libre. I really like it. I couldn't have an Omnipod as I use a little bit too much insulin (it holds 200 units to last 3 days, I use about 210 at present).
Would you be getting your pump next month? I'm on my 3rd pump now and have always had to wait at least a couple of months between choosing one and starting it, if that's the case in your area you might not have to wait that long extra for the new Omnipod, but then have you been told that's an option you'll be able to choose? There are newer Medtronic pumps than the 640g after all :nailbiting:

VP83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your swift reply!

I currently use 50u per day, so approx 150 for three days, and apparently it is likely this will drop a little.

I will attend pump clinic next month, so I guess still a few months away yet from actually being hooked up.

I am kinda hoping that the new omnipod 5 will be an option if it is available, but if they only offer an older Medtronic pump then maybe it won’t. I was pretty disappointed to not be able to have a Tslim that my previous diabetes team had offered, but I moved areas and my new team don’t permit it.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's worth asking if you would be able to get the newer Omnipod, they might say yes, particularly as you already self-fund your Dexcom. Are you good at arguing? :D
I moved areas with my pump, my last clinic had several choices of pump and my new clinic only had the choice of the 640g or Omnipod, so I'm glad I was already a 640g user. I can understand how disappointing it is to not have the option you wanted, especially as you've been waiting so long :(
I think most people's insulin requirements do decrease on a pump, so it's good that you're already under the maximum amount!

Reactions: billyerskine

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, I am 3 months in to omnipod dash. I believe the new omnipod is not licensed yet in UK. There are a lot of pros & cons to this pump but overall it does make life easier. The medical staff will probably tell you that you will have the hang of it after a month. In reality I would suggest 3-6 months before you see a big improvement. I was 31 years using pens before the pimp & it is a lot to get your head around.
Best of luck ♥️