T1 & Pregnant...eeek!

toastlover

After 6 months of trying I'm delighted to find out that I am in very early stages of pregnancy. I'm a T1, overweight and aged 37 so plenty of high risk factors there...!

Seriously though, as this was planned I have already been taking the high strength folic acid, trying to keep a tighter rein on the bg and eating much more healthily. But I'm still crapping my pants!

Any advice from other T1 mums out there would be really appreciated as it will be a couple of days before I can get in to see my DN at the hospital. I had a pretty major hypo last night with bg of 2.2 and I'm worried it may have caused some damage (I only found out about the pregnancy today).

It's a scary... but exciting time!! :D :D :D

Elc1112

Congratulations on the pregnancy :)

Not been there myself, so I cannot offer any words of wisdom. Hopefully someone will be able to offer some help soon.

Em xx

Mamalu

Congratulations! :clap:

Although a long time ago, I had two children at the age of 26 and 30, diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 21. During both pregnancies I had a number of hypos, as I was told how important it was to keep my sugar levels low to avoid the baby becoming too large. (I gave up driving for the duration) My daughter and son were born healthy, even though they were only 5lbs 4oz, and 5lbs 13oz respectively. They have grown up to be happy, healthy adults, neither are diabetic (at the moment of course, but fingers crossed!).

I spent my first pregnancy in needless fear, and my advice to you is to enjoy it as much as possible, as there is so much help for diabetic mothers. I was offered more scans than my contemporaries, and was given a number to call any time of day or night if I needed advice. And this was 28 years ago!!

All the very best to you, don't worry too much, and enjoy your pregnancy as much as you possibly can. Hope to hear how you are getting on very soon.

Take care and hugs to you X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
toastlover said:
After 6 months of trying I'm delighted to find out that I am in very early stages of pregnancy. I'm a T1, overweight and aged 37 so plenty of high risk factors there...!

Seriously though, as this was planned I have already been taking the high strength folic acid, trying to keep a tighter rein on the bg and eating much more healthily. But I'm still crapping my pants!

Any advice from other T1 mums out there would be really appreciated as it will be a couple of days before I can get in to see my DN at the hospital. I had a pretty major hypo last night with bg of 2.2 and I'm worried it may have caused some damage (I only found out about the pregnancy today).

It's a scary... but exciting time!! :D :D :D

Congratulations you sound very happy and excited :D I was 42 when I had my child, it is scary and you will feel you have to do everything possible to make sure your pregnacy goes to plan. Any questions you have, write them down so you dont forget
when you see the midwife or at the hospital or diabetes clinic. Just try and keep the blood sugars in a good range if you can and try not to get worried or stressed as this will put your blood sugars up! During the preganacy you will probably need more Insulin at some point and then hardly any at all, it will depend on your individual needs. You can only do your best for the safety of your baby, but you are not superwoman :wink: and it is very early days. Have a wonderful weekend and try and relax. Best wishes RRB

lillypuddle

Wow congratulations!
I also found out on the 15th of August that I'm pregnant, I am also overweight and 36 so we are in a similar position

However my blood glucose has gone in the other direction and had gradually started creeping up about a week before I found out from a fasting glucose of around 5 to a fasting glucose of 11 on the day I found out. :(

Luckily I have an appointment on monday to see my dn so until then I'll try not to freak out to much!

wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy :D

AnnaGAll

Congratulations !!! I got diagnosed as type 1 4 and a half years ago and got pregnant 10 months later - all I would say is check your sugar as often as feels right for you as your patterns will be different depending on what the baby is doing and try and eat even when you feel sick - a hypo doesnt harm the baby ( they have used your energy!) but it can harm you so get some nice things in for hypos like jelly sweets I think it makes little more bearable ! At the start you tend to get really sensitive to insulin and then don't be afraid when your dose requirement starts going up as the baby matures !! The hospital will be great - I went every two weeks then every week once I got to 32 weeks. Good luck Anna

AnnaGAll

Congratulations !!! I got diagnosed as type 1 4 and a half years ago and got pregnant 10 months later - all I would say is check your sugar as often as feels right for you as your patterns will be different depending on what the baby is doing and try and eat even when you feel sick - a hypo doesnt Usually harm the baby ( they have used your energy!) but its better not to go too low as it can harm you so get some nice things in for hypos like jelly sweets I think it makes little more bearable ! At the start you tend to get really sensitive to insulin and then don't be afraid when your dose requirement starts going up as the baby matures !! The hospital will be great - I went every two weeks then every week once I got to 32 weeks. Good luck Anna

scotty_885

:D Aww congrats
I've been type 1 for just under 2 years now and in sept 2012 found out i was 5weeks pregnant with my first :thumbup: so was completly over the moon now 15weeks gone but its been a hard 3months as i keep having hypo's in the night when i'm asleep :( been hard on my partner too bless him. Just worry everyday and hope that baby is ok with the low sugars at night x

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bumping this as would love to know more about being type 1 and pregnant. I'm type 1 myself, have been for nearly 20 years, I'm 23 now and my and OH are looking to try for a little one in the not so distant future, so any advice and such would be good :)