T1 V'S T2 INSULIN

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Trying to explain what i mean......

When a type 2 goes on to insulin is there a difference in control than type 1?
Why does it not make them type 1 when this happens or does it?

shop

I am a little confused by this too mistee, Maybe a type 2 on insulin is using it as the medicines previously prescribed have failed to reduce blood glucose to within acceptable limits !?!? I am T1 and just went straight on to insulin as my pancrease simply stopped producing any insulin....Maybe someone else has more info?.................Am I right in saying that T2 is when they become resistant to insulin and therefore the boby cannot use it properly?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mistee, Shop!

Type 2s do not become Type 1s by going onto insulin - it is a different condition (although Type 1s can get Type 2 in addition to their Type 1 - known as double diabetes).

Type 1 is an autoimmune condition whereby your antibodies attack your insulin-makin beta cells. Eventually they kill them all off and you cannot produce insulin. In children and young adults this tends to happen very quickly (a matter of a few days), but in some adults, it happens progressively over a period of months or years - this is known as LADA, Type 1.5 or late onset Type 1.

Type 2 is a metabolic condition whereby your body can produce insulin, but for some reason you are resistant to it and cannot use it properly. Your body then produces increasing amounts of insulin to try to bring your BGs under control. High BG kills your pancreatic beta cells and you are able to produce less and less insulin - at that point, you need to start injecting insulin. The problem is that your body is still resistant to injected insulin and so Type 2s frequently have to use large amounts of injected insulin unless they can improve their insulin resistance. Type 2s also often have other metabolic conditions such as high BP and high cholestorol.

Not sure if that answers your questions? If not, let me know and I'll try to explain more clearly.

Smidge

shop

Thanks Smidge!

I was 36 when Diagnosed but it didnt come on gradually it was very quick and I was put on Insulin straight away. As you say this is normally the case in Children and young adults. I didnt think that T2s became T1s but you have explained very well, why they then need to start using insulin.. Thanks! I guess I am just a T1 who got it late in life! You explaination re autoimmune also fits as I have previously been told that me having thyroid probs and T1 are because they are both autoimmune :)

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
But doesn't that come up the same? Just a different way of getting there?

I seem to be different again but ended up on insulin.
My chronic pancreatitis made me diabetic

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Its the getting there that defines the type of diabetes.

For examples Gestational diabetes is defined by developing diabetes whilst pregnant, but if i fell pregnant tomorrow i would still have type 1 diabetes, not gestational.

Type 1 and 1.5 diabetes are both very similar but still are defined as different as 1.5 is a much slower development.

Mind you they used to be referred as Mature on-set diabetes and juvenile diabetes, indicated because of the typical age range that they developed, but is rarely referred to as these as it's clearly inaccurate.

I have many people tell me their 'aunt' or 'grandma' has type 1 diabetes and can i take pills for my diabetes too? Or how come your diabetes is so BAD that you have to inject yourself?

I had a misguided friend told me when she came to the hospital when i was diagnosed that i wouldn't have to inject forever according to her customer at work. To my utter dissapointment i still seem to shoving cannulas in my stomach every two days! :lol:

Good explanation by Smidge though, spot on i'd say :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought with the title of the thread is was going to be a Harry Hill moment......FIGHT!!!!!!! :)

As ebony says Smidge explains it well.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
We think we understand the differences between the major types of diabetes, based on their causes. However, Doctors don't always bother to distinguish one kind from another and just look for a treatment that works. Inevitably this leads to incorrect diagnoses. Nevertheless, diabetes can't be definedd by the treatment. In fact ALL diabetics COULD BE treated with insulin. That wouldn't make everyone a type 1
Even if a type 2 loses ALL beta cell function[if that ever really happens!] they are not type 1, but insulin dependent Type 2
Ultimately it doesn't matter how we categorise our diabetes. all that matters is that we control it.
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin doses will depend on the amount of natural insulin that remains and how resistant the person is to insulin.
Very often (but not always)people diagnosed with T2 who need insulin are very insulin resistant .This can result in them having to take much higher doses of insulin than many T1s .
Someone like yourself doesn't technically have either T1 or T2, its an 'other' form of diabetes caused by a disease of the pancreas.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... nsion.html
(this PDF from the American Diabetes association but is a copy of the World Health Organisation definitions) Occasionally because it's in section 3c it's sometimes called type 3c diabetes but only in scientific papers... most doctors just stick to T1 or T2 and stick people in the box they think best!

Heres an example of T3c being used in a paper (not for reading just to show you)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18227480

mistee71

Dislikes
That was something i was going to metion, where do i fit in? :lol: