T1 with stomach cramps :(

artyfarty30

Hi, I'm 3 months post T1 diagnosis, had 4 weeks honeymoon phase and now back on insulin. What my concern is that I have had 3 episodes in the past few weeks and yesterday of stomach cramps/pains. It's the kind of pain you get when you havent eaten for many hours. When this happened to me yesterday, I checked my BG levels and it was 9.7 (2 hours after eating a Burgen sandwich -salad and cheese only)!!! What is happening to me, I've lost more weight (weighed yesterday: 5ft4in -7 1/2 stones) and people keep telling me I dont look well :) I'm seeing my GP next week but I'm worried that this may be a Type 1 gastro complication....I'm so tired of all this :( :(

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cannot say I know what is causing your stomach pains, but you might be able to start ruling out things that might be causing the problem, which will speed up diagnosis.

The BG reading you got doesn't really suggest ketoasidosis to me, which would be a concern if it was very high. If your readings had been high for a while then it would be worth checking out, or there were other risk factors, otherwise look elsewhere. You could always do a test if only to say to the doctor that you did a test and its OK when he asks.

It would be useful to have a good think about what things have been going on in your life, and with your health recently and ask a few questions that will make it easier for you to figure out what is going on.

Have there been any changes in your appetite or the amount of food you have been eating recently? People say you don't look well, but apart from the stomach cramps do you feel unwell? Roughly how much weight have you lost and how fast? And how does the weight loss compare to before you were diagnosed diabetic? Have you been feeling very stressed lately?

If there's anything else you think could be relevant write it down and then if the doctor asks you a question that you've already answered, you don't have to think about it at the surgery.

You could always post some more details here, and there might be someone who's had the same problem and could help you out.