1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T2 and need to gain weight

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Elenas, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Elenas

Elenas Prediabetes · Active Member

I'm an insulin resistant ( pre type 2 ) with low weight.
    My weight was in the normal range but since I started berberine and low carbs diet to improve my insuline sensitivity and avoid to become diabetic I have started to lose weight dramatically . My insulin numbers are almost back on track and I have now a normal fasting BS.

Yet today I reach a too low BMI (17), and both my GP and family are telling me not to lose weight anymore, that I look sick...
    I' m eating to the maximum I can but without carbs I struggle to eat more than 1500 calories.

I'm a vegetarian with lactose intolerance.
    What can I eat that are heavy in calories and fat but without carbs? I keep on eating healthy fat such as olive oils with all my salad, avocado, eggs, almonds everyday. I even introduce some fat cheese/butter but this give me eczema( intolerant) So I don't see what else I can do?

Also I feel like I don't find help anywhere as everything I read about T2 is about losing weight and not gain.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not something I Am totally familiar but first thoughts are increasing meat, cheese, cream but I know you said those are an issue

when I was looking at my food diary it is clear that it’s easy to eat actually a lot but not take in much calories, especially when eating veg and salad. The bulk of the calories are from meat, cheese and dairy but I also am not super low carb so can bulk up from higher carb foods now and again, I don’t know if that is an option? But if you can up the meat, some of those with high calories and fat could be an option?

also what about nuts? Those pack a lot of calories

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/gain-weight

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Andydragon, Mar 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. Elenas

I 'm a vegetarian since my 13 year old , for ethical reason, So definitely not something I'm willing to introduced .
    Eventually I can push myself to eat shrimps or salmon once and then.
    So yes like you said I don't have any calories and fat coming from meat, and surely that's why I can't keep on weight.

Are nuts really safe for BS?
    Is there maybe protein shake for people with low weight that are safe for diabetics?

5. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Apologies, totally missed the vegetarian bit! No idea how that happened

I would say cheese but the lactose intolerant and issues are therefore a problem

some nuts are better than others but yes, I would think so and it even says in here to be careful given how many calories they contain, so sounds promising?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/nuts

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mezza n

Mezza n · Member

Hi I am the same as you loosing too much weight etc because of low carbs have you tried planet organic web site a little bit expensive but the fat bars are great very high calorie and only 2 carbs per bar these are helping me at the moment also if you buy almond flour you can make cakes and pancakes etc low carb too good luck it’s so hard.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Elenas

Thank you that seem pretty nice, I will try such recipes

8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you mean you have your insulin checked by a lab regularly? What was the change over time?
    In your other thread you mention thinking you might be T1, which may make this relevant information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Elenas

Well the last time they check it, it was back to 4 ulU/ml, so my doctor told me it's good it's not high anymore, and encourage me to continue my low carb diet, and eat high fat to maintain my weight. She said so far no need medicine.

The first time they checked my insulin it was last year and it was high at 17 ulU/ml. Which lead me to the insulin resistance diagnosis ( So matching the t2).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, this makes sense!
    I was mainly double checking, because most of us never get their insulin levels tested, regardless of type.
    Sorry not to have any more practical advice.

11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I feel for you ! I'm also a skinny type 2 and it is not easy to keep weight up and I admit it can be a bit depressing when most posts are about losing weight I eat quite a lot of nuts which don't seem to affect my BGs avocados are good and avocado oil on salads helps .Are you intolerant of all dairy because I find natural full fat yoghurt with berries or half a satsuma takes the boredom away ! Is there some sort of cream substitute that you could mix with a square of very dark chocolate whipped into a mousse and with a few berries .We need to keep our food interesting or we will sink into a low !
    Carol

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

tofu?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

It's difficult to take in a lot of oil when it's just used as a salad dressing. You could try frying mushrooms or aubergines in olive oil - they soak up a lot of oil so it's easier to eat increased calories. It's probably worth getting a blood glucose meter and testing the effect of various nuts on your blood sugar - for some people and some nuts, the blood glucose rise can be quite modest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Z_e_u_s

Z_e_u_s Type 2 · Member

Hi Elenas,

peanuts can be pretty high in fat compared to another nuts; personally they affect my BS quiet a lot whilst brazilian nuts tend not to be as bad (for me) but each one has their own tolerance to the same food. Perhaps testing your BS before-after having them will tell you how your body copes and that will tell you if you can safely have them without spiking your BS.

I also use isolated protein powder (from plants..so it’s vegan) and that could give you some extra calories; being isolated they have virtually no carbs/sugar. I add them to a yogurt based breakfast or just shake them in water.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Macadamia nuts are very, very high calorie, and absolutely delicious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Elenas

I'm so relived to know that I'm not the only one with this low weigh. At some point I even started to wonder if it was rather T1 type, as everything you read online about T2 is about diet control and exercising.
    So at least I know I'm not alone in this journey and I feel a bit more "normal".

So about lactose I have definitely a strong response as I develop skin rash after eating it, even yogurt. I have a better tolerance for goat cheese only.
    I will follow the advice to introduces more nuts in my meal, and make nuts salad, buy nuts protein bar ... hopefully it will be enough to bring me back a healthier silhouette.
    Thank you so much

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

can you eat sheeps cheese? and soya?

• Like Like x 1
  18. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nuts are great although some are more carby than others. I'd advise you to eat a few teaspoons of nut butter and even to add these to a little fruit e.g. peanut butter on a slice of apple. Having a little more insulin going around will help you gain fat and muscle which you will need to have a good immune system, bone health etc.
    Its about getting to a body fat level that doesn't trigger your diabetes and a level at which you are not hungry or not getting enough nutrients. At 1500 kcals you would be hungry and likely to miss out on vital fats for example given the absence of animal and dairy fats.
    Its probably worth checking your blood sugars 2-4 hours after your meal or snack to see how your blood sugar responds if you introduce a little carbohydrate such as lentils and beans. If you can push yourself to have some salmon and prawns that would be great because they are a great source of protein, omega 3 and zinc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Elenas

In small amount my body tolerate it yes

20. Elenas

Thank you for the advice, just a question about insulin: you mean I actually need more insulin? I'm confused, because I already produced too much insulin fasting if I don't take berberine and watch out my carbs intake. I'm insulin resistant, so I'm encouraged to actually stop over producing it. I started from17 ulU/ml and now reach 4ulU/ml and my doctor congratulate me.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook