1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T2 and need to gain weight

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Elenas, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Elenas

Elenas Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Sorry I think we miss understood each other. I'm not injecting any insulin. It's actually my body that produce it's own insulin in too much quantity by its own. I have the opposite problem of t1 people ,my pancreas over produced insulin. Plus I became insulin resistant meaning that the insulin I produce has not a great impact on my BS, this is actually what people with T2 have.

So in my case I've been asked to stop eating carbs and sugar, and do intermittent fasting , that's only because this diet and because the little help of berberine that I'm successful with my insulin level nowaday. Unfortunately if I stop this diet my insulin will spike again ( but in my case I don't gain weight no matter, when my inulin was very high I was still very thin).

And for the food advice I already start to make nuts salads and snacking I hope I will gain a few pound , thank you so much for the feedback and helped.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding! Note that your insulin may not spike with lentils, pulses and cashews or little snacks so I hope you find a good balance in order to geain a little fat!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you are a coffee drinker but if so try adding a big blob of coconut oil in your morning brew. It tastes kind of different but ok in an interesting way. - I’m on the slim side but notice my weight going up when I do this on a regular basis. I also add butter but this may be an issue with lactose intolerance? Anyhow worth a shot. Best thoughts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coconut oil sounds good.
    Apart from that, I guess avocado and nuts.
    Maybe eat margarine with a spoon- I've put on a lot of weight that way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Elenas

Elenas Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I'm not drinking coffee no , but thank you anyway

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @Elenas

I know relatively little about pre-diabetes, but I try to minimise* carbs, avoid meat and also struggle with my weight. In addition to the above suggestions, have you considered increasing your protein intake, not just fat? (I don’t know how this will impact your insulin response - you’d have to test for it to be sure).

e.g. Tofu, seeds (chia would be a good choice), or edamame/soya beans (lowish carb)

For snacks, I dry fry a mix of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc) and a few walnuts or almonds in a pan (medium heat for 5 mins for maximum flavour). It’s easy to eat a few hundred calories with minimal effort; only a couple of grams carbs - much better than a bag of crisps! I often make a batch and save some some for the next few days - perhaps adding black pepper/spices for a change.

I also boost my intake of fake meats such as Quorn/soy mince (not breaded versions) e.g. those Quorn cocktail sausages, but watch out for the carb content.

I know they’re not everyone’s taste, but olives are a fabulous source of calories (low carb, little protein though)!

*I’m insulin-dependant, so can eat carbs and I do eat (quite a few) eggs, cheese and other dairy products.

7. Ukgal

Ukgal Type 2 · Newbie

Avocado on toast

8. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Only thing would be making sure right type of bread to address carb issues but this could be an option.

9. optimist1

optimist1 · Well-Known Member

Dr Bernstein would suggest that on low carb, you increase your protein to put on weight. In his trial he found that additional fat in excess of calorie need, didn't put on weight.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook