T2 blues

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am so tired of diabetes tonight, no one takes it seriously - and I have been gradually letting my diet slip - today had pasta and garlic bread a couple of toffees and two squares of chocolate and then drifted off on the sofa in front of tv for almost 3 hours finding it difficult to rouse from this almost stupor type sleep. My feet are burning and my legs are like lead. Usually optimistic but this diabetes thing is damned hard work and few people understand or take it seriously. My husband buys sweets and tells me I don't have to eat them, he thinks will power is a doddle! He has been dismissed with Parkinson's and is underweight - his nurse, with apologies to me told him to eat what he liked in the sweet department - and he is doing this in a bid to gain weight!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So it all your husbands fault is it.
Sorry but you have to take control of it.
It nearly killed me.
I did not know i had it and was excessing on everything.
net result Heart attack.
Biggest contributors diabetes and smoking and over weight.
Heart stopped 4 times. So died 4 times.
We all take the occasional day off but we HAVE to stay on track.
For ourselves we do this. And yes it is a lonely journey.
He is taking care of his Parkinson's now you take care of your diabetes.
And really its easy when you are motivated. For me it is simple control it or die.
Thats what i was told. So no argument from me.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry you are feeling so low. It can be hard at times. You cam go along testing, injecting etc for long periods without a care and then suddenly you can't stand it anymore. I've been there more than once. The thing is that when you give up control you just feel worse. Negative feelings about diabetes quickly develop into negative feelings about yourself. Take it as one injection/test at a time. Try not to look too far down the road to tomorrow. There is just this day, this moment. It can be hard to see others eating im a way we can't but there is temptation everywhere and we have to try and steel ourselves against it. We can allow occasional treats and these help to stave off feelings of deprivation, but they have to be occasional. Sit your husband down for a chat about how you are feeling. Tell him is not to interrupt until you have finished and them have a conversation together. It is unrealistic to expect others to give up sweets for us but his understanding will help make things easier for you. You have to get back in the driver's seat of your life and get a grip on your diabetes management. No one can do it for you. You have done it before and you can do it again. Pick yourself up, dust yoirself off and don't let diabetes get the better of you.

K

Kat100

Hope you soon feel more positive you can and will feel better....you can do it....
Feeling awful is horrid of course it's good to ventilate your feelings it's good to share and a good way to gain control again....both your husband and yourself have a lot to cope with but you can cope get as much support as you can :)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
No it's not his fault - and I agree with your reply as makes great sense, and have been a fairly good diabetic until recently just saying I am finding it hard of late and I just wished understand that chocolate under my nose is temptation- as you say that's down to me and not him! You are right, this is my life and its up to me to charge! Just having a self pitying moment, rare for me, but a kind of wake up call! Thanks for tough line reply probably what I need :) but he does tend to bury his head in the sand, will not discuss his Parkinson's and I can understand that - not a nice disease - but he has always had the attitude that I may not have diabetes. I wouldn't mind, but as a retired optometrist he has quite a lot of medical knowledge. He says if you go to Dr they will find something wrong with you. I was the ind to coerce him to go there in the first place, although he later told neurologist he has suspected it for a couple of years, partly due to retirement in his late 50s, never said a word to me!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks to all for kind words and suggestions, the whole point of my post is to off load to people who understand! I am usually upbeat and try not toake a deal out of diabetes, trouble is I have gone to far the other way - and this episode and your words of wisdom are helping me back on track - going to take a really firm stance and get ok readings down from 7.3 to the mid 5s and try to maintain status go - new day, new challenge - I'll try to let you know of progress, more for my own purpose than yours I guess, though I find it's nice to get feedback on posts here! Thanks again all :)

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done for understanding my little rant as a reply.
I was not trying to be nasty but o find that as much as others seem to care really it is down to me and they can have a holiday from helping me and regularly do.
Its not there fault but its my diabetes and my problem on the end.
Any way chin up and off load as much as you want.

Andy

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When he eats sweets, treat yourself with some low sugar jelly and cream. Hartleys make them ready made. And why not melt your little bits of chocolate over it.