T2 What Is The Criteria For Attaining Remission.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed T2 year 2012. I consider my diabetes under control in view of the fact that fbg and 2hpp are mostly within the normal range. HbA1c last June was 5.9%. LCHF adherent. Currently on Metformin 500mg twice daily.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think for remission its non diabetic hba1cs over a period (1-2years?) on no medication
You sound well controlled
In both well controlled and remission categories,, there is always the danger that diabetes will become more active if you remove the changes made since diagnosis

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The following is taken from the International Diabetes Remission Registry https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/
Sally

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:

• Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or mor

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think for remission its non diabetic hba1cs over a period (1-2years?) on no medication
You sound well controlled
In both well controlled and remission categories,, there is always the danger that diabetes will become more active if you remove the changes made since diagnosis
Thanks

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The following is taken from the International Diabetes Remission Registry https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/
Sally

Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

Noted @sally and james Thank you.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sally

Interesting. I have to say that's not a definition I have seen before.

If I can maintain as I am I will be in the Operational Cure category in February.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If I can maintain as I am I will be in the Operational Cure category in February.
No reason why you shouldn't, very best of luck with your journey.

James has recently crossed that boundary and has also had a full reversal of proliferative retinopathy. The opthalmic consultant's words were, "remarkable ....... mmm, remarkable.....".
Sally

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I have to say that's not a definition I have seen before.

Same here however, despite having an hba1c of 40 or less for the last 5 years, according to my DN I am not in remission just well controlled!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that @sally and james - very informative.

I consider myself well controlled, because while I hit some of those criteria, my fasting blood glucose has never decided to toe the line.

And I MUCH prefer the diabetesremission.org criteria to the ones quoted by Professor Taylor of Newcastle Diet fame (less than a year, no meds, with varying degrees of followup, and an HbA1c of under 48mmol/mol) .
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-after-one-year-of-direct-trial-98030767.html

The diabetesremission targets seem more aimed at sustainability and long term health, and seem to recognise how easy it is to slide back into higher blood glucose over time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here however, despite having an hba1c of 40 or less for the last 5 years, according to my DN I am not in remission just well controlled!

Daphne - To be honest, I really don't like labels and this whole thing could be called Doris for all it really matters to me, although I see the value in labels when they support a common understanding, in terms of discussion.

For me, whatever I might be called/labelled, it won't change my life, or how I live it, and having developed a decent relationship with my GP, it won't impact on how that goes along.

For those for whom a label, title or category is important, I prefer these descriptions to others I have seen in that there is a longer term view on matters, rather than simply crossing a line, once.

To be clear, that's not just because, by virtue of time served, I nearly hit the 5yr mark, but because we can sometimes see those who have achieved the "under 48" so elated (and rightly so) by their achievements that they go off to celebrate their success with "just a few more carbs" and find themselves coming back through the forum revolving door a few months later, having reversed the reversal or whatever label you can to give it.

This definition infers a longer term look and view, which is required in my reality anyway.

I wish everyone well in their efforts to improve their health, however they approach it.

Edit: Typos, typos, typos

Last edited:
Reactions: tayelola

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It is important for those who want insurance. I also believe that <48 is generous (although a good result), <42 I think is the correct level over 3 HbA1c's, with no oral medication except food as medicine, for a remission status; in the UK your Dr / Diabetic Nurse can change this on your health record.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have ‘in remission’ on my avatar here as it’s the nearest option available to how I feel. I would prefer it if there was an option ‘well controlled’! I’m currently on 2 x Metformin/day and eat less than 50g carbs per day to achieve fasting bloods in the high 4s to low 5s and HbA1cs in the mid 30s for nearly a year. Remission does, as in the Oxford dictionary definition (to be found in my signature) imply things can change as it is a temporary state.

M

Moggely

I agree with @Rachox . I wish they would say controlled but if many believe they are in remission i have no answer. I however have listened to many such as Dr Jason Fung about remission so who knows and i admire that Dr. I however wish i can have the results that Rachox has but as many say in here.....We are all different. So i am aiming for a happy median so to speak. Below 6.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP is adamant that consistent HbA1cs under 48 without meds means "diabetes resolved". My own HbA1cs have been under 48 since June 2014, no meds. A few months ago he was going through my records and noticed this. Without any discussion he coded me as "diabetes resolved" AND backdated this to June 2014. I would not have known had I not seen it on my on-line records. I have checked with the surgery and am still listed for 6 monthly blood tests, foot tickling, an annual review with the nurse, and retinal eye screening. So to me, it makes no difference what my records say. I should add that I have never once seen my GP for diabetes. I have only seen my nurse who did suggest once upon a time that I could be taken off the diabetes register and put on the "at risk" register.

I still class myself as diabetic, albeit with non-diabetic blood glucose levels. At the moment.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daphne - To be honest, I really don't like labels and this whole thing could be called Doris for all it really matters to me, although I see the value in labels when they support a common understanding, in terms of discussion.

For me, whatever I might be called/labelled, it won't change my life, or how I live it, and having developed a decent relationship with my GP, it won't impact on how that goes along.

For those for whom a label, title or category is important, I prefer these descriptions to others I have seen in that there is a longer term view on matters, rather than simply crossing a line, once.

To be clear, that's not just because, by virtue of time served, I nearly hit the 5yr mark, but because we can sometimes see those who have achieved the "under 48" so elated (and rightly so) by their achievements that they go off to celebrate their success with "just a few more carbs" and find themselves coming back through the forum revolving door a few months later, having reversed the reversal or whatever label you can to give it.

This definition infers a longer term look and view, which is required in my reality anyway.

I wish everyone well in their efforts to improve their health, however they approach it.

Edit: Typos, typos, typos
Very realistic comments.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP is adamant that consistent HbA1cs under 48 without meds means "diabetes resolved".
It is resolved from the GP's perspective because he has "fixed"your problem and doesn't need to do anything else. Not that he did anything in the first place.