T2s: Do you feel a mindset change has happened since your diagnosis?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hello folks!

So, just a random ramble I had today whilst going about my business , especially as over the past two weeks since diagnosis, which, to be honest, shouldn't have been that much of a shock (given my 'old' madcap erratic lifestyle of work/commute/hugely high stress/lack of good treatment for the body and mind etc etc), something dawned on me today and I wondered if anyone else is feeling like this, and sees it as a positive rather than thinking of just the negatives of diagnosis...... Now, I do need to err on the side of caution with this, as I know old habits die hard, but I realised today that over the past few weeks I've been treating myself, my body, peace of mind, good nourishment etc, probably far better than I've done in many months, maybe even the past few years! I seem to now be automatically thinking on the food front, of before I eat anything, "is this fueling my body and bloods?" Before anything goes in the trolley, I think - and check - "is this carb heavy/how many carbs/how much sugar?" When at work I'm thinking "is this worth me stressing myself out over?" when it comes to working out/exercise, I'm back where I used to be a few years ago and I'm now actively doing more of what I love (weightlifting/strength training) and more importantly, it's not feeling 'forced', it feels natural. It feels like, and this might sound odd, but it feels like this diagnosis *might* well have been the best thing to ever happen - as a positive...and the timing, well, the timing was spot on! Anyone else feel like this?

For me, the diagnosis feels like an opportunity to really level up (to myself), be a better version of me, reflect on how I can make changes to my immediate life, to get back on track/'remission' if possible, and pay attention to what goes on around me, how much I let outside influences affect me and my lifestyle. And how much more now do I want 'it' - 'it' being the opportunity to be the best version of myself that I can. Just me?

Like I said, a random ramble, for sure! It just feels like a very cathartic experience has occurred since my Doctor called with the 'news'.

Reactions: Prem51

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
For years after diagnosis I considered DB to be a very positive influence on my life, I am way healthier in many ways than I would have been without my diagnosis.

It has not gone quite so well recently but who knows where I would be healthwise without taking such a keen interest in myself

Also made a life long friend because of it so its not all bad :)

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yup. Sounds like you're beginning to get your head around it all. I found it empowering to take control instead of just mindlessly going from day to day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness definitely!

Diagnosis was the kick up the proverbial that I needed and sparked me into action. Sounds like it has done similar for you - and it can be so empowering. Its less than 2 years since I was diagnosed, but I can honestly say that I am in one of the most positive phases of my life. The energy, positive mood and general wellbeing in my opinion is life changing. In many ways it's the small joys of life - spending a lot more time outdoors, appreciating where I live (exploring more and learning more about my immediate environment).

Good on you for getting to grips with things so quickly.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Hello folks!

So, just a random ramble I had today whilst going about my business , especially as over the past two weeks since diagnosis, which, to be honest, shouldn't have been that much of a shock (given my 'old' madcap erratic lifestyle of work/commute/hugely high stress/lack of good treatment for the body and mind etc etc), something dawned on me today and I wondered if anyone else is feeling like this, and sees it as a positive rather than thinking of just the negatives of diagnosis...... Now, I do need to err on the side of caution with this, as I know old habits die hard, but I realised today that over the past few weeks I've been treating myself, my body, peace of mind, good nourishment etc, probably far better than I've done in many months, maybe even the past few years! I seem to now be automatically thinking on the food front, of before I eat anything, "is this fueling my body and bloods?" Before anything goes in the trolley, I think - and check - "is this carb heavy/how many carbs/how much sugar?" When at work I'm thinking "is this worth me stressing myself out over?" when it comes to working out/exercise, I'm back where I used to be a few years ago and I'm now actively doing more of what I love (weightlifting/strength training) and more importantly, it's not feeling 'forced', it feels natural. It feels like, and this might sound odd, but it feels like this diagnosis *might* well have been the best thing to ever happen - as a positive...and the timing, well, the timing was spot on! Anyone else feel like this?

For me, the diagnosis feels like an opportunity to really level up (to myself), be a better version of me, reflect on how I can make changes to my immediate life, to get back on track/'remission' if possible, and pay attention to what goes on around me, how much I let outside influences affect me and my lifestyle. And how much more now do I want 'it' - 'it' being the opportunity to be the best version of myself that I can. Just me?

Like I said, a random ramble, for sure! It just feels like a very cathartic experience has occurred since my Doctor called with the 'news'.
Like you diagnosis was the shock I should have been expecting. My GO ripped me a.new one, scared the **** out of me.

From that moment I quit the carbs and it's changed my life. Would it be wrong to say one of the best things that has happened to me.

My whole mind set completely changed and for the first time I've been able to control what I eat and do some exercise.

Iain

[moderator profanity edit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
For years after diagnosis I considered DB to be a very positive influence on my life, I am way healthier in many ways than I would have been without my diagnosis.

It has not gone quite so well recently but who knows where I would be healthwise without taking such a keen interest in myself

Also made a life long friend because of it so its not all bad :)
That's more along the lines of my thinking, a 'positive influence'. That's definitely happened, or feels like it's just begun the cogs thinking..

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Yup. Sounds like you're beginning to get your head around it all. I found it empowering to take control instead of just mindlessly going from day to day.
That's exactly it, Guzzler! I know what you mean. I feel like it's been a sort of catalyst for empowerment to get control of certain elements in life.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness definitely!

Diagnosis was the kick up the proverbial that I needed and sparked me into action. Sounds like it has done similar for you - and it can be so empowering. Its less than 2 years since I was diagnosed, but I can honestly say that I am in one of the most positive phases of my life. The energy, positive mood and general wellbeing in my opinion is life changing. In many ways it's the small joys of life - spending a lot more time outdoors, appreciating where I live (exploring more and learning more about my immediate environment).

Good on you for getting to grips with things so quickly.
Thanks @Goonergal I'm definitely trying it took me aback, for sure, and yep, I feel its been a kick up the bum too. I can totally relate to how you feel and the changes you've made in the past few years, I feel like although I'm literally a 'new kid on the block' to diagnosis, this really has been the shake up I needed to make a better future for myself. Fingers crossed!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Like you diagnosis was the shock I should have been expecting. My GO ripped me a.new one, scared the **** out of me.

From that moment I quit the carbs and it's changed my life. Would it be wrong to say one of the best things that has happened to me.

My whole mind set completely changed and for the first time I've been able to control what I eat and do some exercise.

Iain
Good on you, Iain! Sounds like you had the fear too, that's what I felt after the call, then tried to just get as much info as possible. Hopefully this will be the start of a positive new chapter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It just feels like a very cathartic experience
Completely my experience too. A new way of life has started which has led to far better health , a new relationship with food and better all round well being. I think I can safely say that without diagnosis this would not have happened.. could it be the best thing to have happened to me.. well apart from meeting hubby probably..

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I was 25 and I got diagnosed with 2 conditions the same day so it was a bit to take in. i went through the grief stages. I soon got into the swing of things though and when things would stop working I'd just change it. My biggest hurdle was docs just treating me like type 2 just needs more meds rather than checking my function first and then deciding. It took them a while to convince I needed to be checked and I'm glad I persisted as it changed my treatment and I've been better since being on insulin. Of course I have a myriad of other illnesses which means I'm going through grief stages over and over. I can't honestly say I feel I have a handle on things as things always change on me. My health is a big trigger for my depression and anxiety too which doesn't help. But overall I can say diabetes is the easier disease to manage in comparison to my other stuff.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup, I am with you! Coming up to my first anniversary in November. I don't know what the future will hold for me (none of us do), I could get horrible complications etc, etc. But I do know that from now on, I can try to stave off anything horrible by controling my BG to the best of my ability. It has been a huge learning curve, I am still learning, but this forum has been a fantastic help these last 12 months. I dread to think where I might have ended up without the support and information held in these pages.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Completely my experience too. A new way of life has started which has led to far better health , a new relationship with food and better all round well being. I think I can safely say that without diagnosis this would not have happened.. could it be the best thing to have happened to me.. well apart from meeting hubby probably..
That's how I feel, too, @bulkbiker re: the food changes. It feels completely different this time. I like the way you put that, "a new way of life has started", it really does feel like that

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely agree @IronLioness , I have many times said my diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise. My first post on this forum the night of my diagnosis in May ‘17 was entitled ‘Shell Shocked’. I moved on so far so quickly due to the advice and support of everyone here. I appreciate the small things in life as @Goonergal says, my surroundings, my food, I enjoy cooking from scratch instead of buying ready made stuff, I have lost a shed load of weight and have beaten my type 2 into remission, whilst my new lifestyle has benefitted my other health problems too. I love watching my GP’s face when I return yet another non diabetic HbA1c, fingers crossed I haven’t tempted fate for my next one later this week!

Visitor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Made me almost loose my mind, it caused very high pain feet mostly, neurological nerve end damadged

Never let your blood sugar go high constantly, it can damadged nerves

Reactions: IronLioness

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's how I feel, too, @bulkbiker re: the food changes. It feels completely different this time. I like the way you put that, "a new way of life has started", it really does feel like that
emoji4.png
Yep after years of reward eating I now feel completely in control. Food is now fuel not a "treat" or "reward" I still enjoy eating but can also fast without problem too. I know that I have trigger foods, bread type things, which I simply avoid. Life's complications are much reduced, it's bliss.

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Yup, I am with you! Coming up to my first anniversary in November. I don't know what the future will hold for me (none of us do), I could get horrible complications etc, etc. But I do know that from now on, I can try to stave off anything horrible by controling my BG to the best of my ability. It has been a huge learning curve, I am still learning, but this forum has been a fantastic help these last 12 months. I dread to think where I might have ended up without the support and information held in these pages.
I feel the same @xfieldok the complications actually really scare the **** out of me - my Father has type 2 diabetes, too, and I've seen him lose his nerve endings in his feet, eye problems, and also most recently had to have half a foot amputated because a simple stitching needle went through the sole of his shoe. If I'm honest, maybe it's the fear of those types of complications that are driving this mindset change. I definitely feel better in myself and much more responsible and in control of my health than pre diagnosis. I'm like you, I'm really trying to just focus on staving off complications by monitoring by BG levels. I'm so serious about this diagnosis, I really do want to help it. You're absolutely right, the folk in this forum have been fantastic, so so helpful. I'm so glad there are resources like this to bring us all together to share, learn etc. It just makes a smidge easier to talk to others in the same situation. My real life friends don't really get it, so it's nice to 'chat' about it here.

Edited by mod for language.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
When I was first diagnosed I was 25 and I got diagnosed with 2 conditions the same day so it was a bit to take in. i went through the grief stages. I soon got into the swing of things though and when things would stop working I'd just change it. My biggest hurdle was docs just treating me like type 2 just needs more meds rather than checking my function first and then deciding. It took them a while to convince I needed to be checked and I'm glad I persisted as it changed my treatment and I've been better since being on insulin. Of course I have a myriad of other illnesses which means I'm going through grief stages over and over. I can't honestly say I feel I have a handle on things as things always change on me. My health is a big trigger for my depression and anxiety too which doesn't help. But overall I can say diabetes is the easier disease to manage in comparison to my other stuff.
I feel you on the anxiety and combination of challenges, Mep. I hope things get easier for you.

Reactions: Mep

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Yep after years of reward eating I now feel completely in control. Food is now fuel not a "treat" or "reward" I still enjoy eating but can also fast without problem too. I know that I have trigger foods, bread type things, which I simply avoid. Life's complications are much reduced, it's bliss.
Literally this! I can totally relate @bulkbiker food is now fuel, not toxic, its forced a kind of change of mindset towards food, I feel that too. I noticed it today when I realised I'd gone through the weekend, which would usually be one of random indulgences wherever I was, but that everything I did or bought was to help myself and body/blood readings. Like the bread you avoid, my own arch nemesis is snack type savouries, so I avoid them now because I'm trying to see them as a barrier to getting myself to 'remission'. Even on small things I now check for carb and sugar counts - 2 weeks ago it wouldn't have even come into my head! (I guess that's another reason how I ended up here, doh!)

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Made me almost loose my mind, it caused very high pain feet mostly, neurological nerve end damadged

Never let your blood sugar go high constantly, it can damadged nerves
I totally am behind this, it's my primary concern - I'm hoping I've not damaged my nerves. I'm doing whatever I can to change things, and change them quickly

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I absolutely agree @IronLioness , I have many times said my diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise. My first post on this forum the night of my diagnosis in May ‘17 was entitled ‘Shell Shocked’. I moved on so far so quickly due to the advice and support of everyone here. I appreciate the small things in life as @Goonergal says, my surroundings, my food, I enjoy cooking from scratch instead of buying ready made stuff, I have lost a shed load of weight and have beaten my type 2 into remission, whilst my new lifestyle has benefitted my other health problems too. I love watching my GP’s face when I return yet another non diabetic HbA1c, fingers crossed I haven’t tempted fate for my next one later this week!
@Rachox I can relate to your post - I think that first night of diagnosis I found this site, too, posted immediately, my head was all over the place. Without doubt these good folk have helped. I'm loving your journey with the weight loss and getting it into remission, I want some of that! I've read all the links that have been posted up, I'm love to be under radar by mid January, if that's possible. I'll keep aiming for it and see what happens. I think that target will really help me to stay focused during the perilous season of treats we're about to head into. (although I actually don't even miss that 'life' anymore)

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Curiously, I'd decided at the end of June to get healthier. I bought a gym membership, started swimming, and hired a personal trainer. Then got a surprise diagnosis of type 2 diabetes on July 6th. Talk about fortuitous timing!

I really got into it - researched like crazy, started low carb, cut out sugar, still swimming. The weight is being very stubborn to lose (only 13 pounds in 3.5 months) but I've lowered my A1C from 11.8% in July to 6.1% now and my profile pic documents my blood glucose decrease. I feel great too!