Taking a couple of days off from Type 2 life

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As per the title, what are your opinions?

I've been on a strict LCHF diet for 16 weeks. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my carbs.

I decided to take Saturday and Sunday off as my son was home to celebrate his (25th) birthday.

Sat morning my weight was 101.8.

Had a couple of bacon rolls for lunch, for dinner I chose fish and chips with curry sauce from the chippy.

In addition to this, I also had a couple of slices of my wifes home made Chocolate Cake covered with Galaxy Chocolate.

Blood sugar when I went to bed was the highest I'd ever taken at 8.6

Sunday we went out for an all you can eat breakfast at Brewers Fayre and I had sausages, bubble and squeak, pancakes and syrup, I also had another couple of slices of cake during the day.

Evening meal was a roast complete with potatoes.

Monday I went back to my strict Keto Diet, I had put on a slight amount, but it has been coming off all week.

Mon: 105.5
Tue: 104.9
Wed: 103.7
Thu: 102.9
Today: 102.6

I found it really nice having a couple of days off, I wondered what your thoughts on this are?

I had been really struggling to sticvk to keto the last few weeks, missing carbs soooo much, but planning a couple of days off for my Sons birthday, gave me the willpower etc to stick it out until then. Giving myself a new goal of having Christmas and boxing day off gives me a new target,.stick with it for just another 7 weeks and I get a nice couple of days off..

That doesn't mean on Christmas day, I'm going to sit there stuffing my face with sweets and shortbread etc, just that I can have some of the foods I really miss.

Is this sensible or stupid?

Thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The words that leap out from your post are:-
'Blood sugar when I went to bed was the highest I'd ever taken at 8.6'.

My thoughts are that we all have to find our own way of coping. If an occasional 'time out' is yours then so be it. Beware, though, that many find carbs addictive.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are brave. I’ve often thought how lovely it would be to take a day off but I know even the slightest whiff of a carb and I’d be back at a BG reading of 22. You are lucky that you can enjoy a celebration. I’m just so thankful I can tolerate alcohol and then I don’t want carbs at occasions like that!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I could eat all those carbs and have an 8.6 I’d do it once every few months. But I can’t and it would set all my cravings off again. It can’t be advocated but I see why you’re tempted to repeat it. I’d check more than just at bedtime though, you may need to call a halt to the decadence earlier in the day. At the very least try and get a few brisk walks into the day somewhere.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey! That's more off the wagon naughties in one weekend than I've had in 9 years! - yes it's nice to enjoy yourself with a small treat now and then. I may be wrong but I very much doubt 8.6 was the highest your blood sugar went.

Please don't undo all your good work as that would be a shame, have treats now and then but I would advise against blow out weekends - it's the thin end of the wedge - would be for me anyway. Glad to see your back on track and if you plan Christmas carefully you can have the odd treat without too much damage.

The thing about diabetes whatever the type is it doesn't take a day off, it may be more helpful to you to see low carb as a lifestyle to control your diabetes not a diet to lose weight. Use testing as a tool to what carbs do to your blood sugars, who knows you may be pleasantly surprised to see that you don't have to be super low carb and may be able to have more carbs than on a strict keto lifestyle :)

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Wow 8.6 after eating all that... I hit 11, 2 hours after eating half a fruit scone and butter.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ojustaboo glad you enjoyed your week-end off from T2. I too have the occasional time off from my lowish carb diet and have a bacon and egg roll or battered fish and chips or, dare I say it, a chocolate cream eclair on a Sunday. I am also sure that you, like me, appreciate that it is the exception rather than the norm and get back to your normal way of eating.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget - that reading was at bedtime. Goodness knows what he was after each of those meals. He hasn't said.

I didn't check my blood Saturday until bed time, but I checked it regularly Sunday.

Sunday morning, I had pancakes, syrup as well as potatoes, sausages, hash browns with my all you can eat breakfast.

I checked my blood about 2 hrs later, it was 7.5
I had a (big) slice of chocolate cake and a few other bits. Checked my blood about an hour or so later, 7.7
Roast dinner with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pud, gravy etc, 2 hrs later 7.4

I also had another slice of cake at some point on the Sunday.

Bed time 7.0

Been back on the Keto since Monday, just checked it and it's 4.5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As per the title, what are your opinions?

I've been on a strict LCHF diet for 16 weeks. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my carbs.

I decided to take Saturday and Sunday off as my son was home to celebrate his (25th) birthday.

Sat morning my weight was 101.8.

Had a couple of bacon rolls for lunch, for dinner I chose fish and chips with curry sauce from the chippy.

In addition to this, I also had a couple of slices of my wifes home made Chocolate Cake covered with Galaxy Chocolate.

Blood sugar when I went to bed was the highest I'd ever taken at 8.6

Sunday we went out for an all you can eat breakfast at Brewers Fayre and I had sausages, bubble and squeak, pancakes and syrup, I also had another couple of slices of cake during the day.

Evening meal was a roast complete with potatoes.

Monday I went back to my strict Keto Diet, I had put on a slight amount, but it has been coming off all week.

Mon: 105.5
Tue: 104.9
Wed: 103.7
Thu: 102.9
Today: 102.6

I found it really nice having a couple of days off, I wondered what your thoughts on this are?

I had been really struggling to sticvk to keto the last few weeks, missing carbs soooo much, but planning a couple of days off for my Sons birthday, gave me the willpower etc to stick it out until then. Giving myself a new goal of having Christmas and boxing day off gives me a new target,.stick with it for just another 7 weeks and I get a nice couple of days off..

That doesn't mean on Christmas day, I'm going to sit there stuffing my face with sweets and shortbread etc, just that I can have some of the foods I really miss.

Is this sensible or stupid?

Thanks

Don't feel guilty about it, you're not stupid, just human :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sounds sensible to me. I did something similar while on vacation for a week in Southern California. I had a freestyle libre on and my blood glucose levels were pretty close to normal and I didn't gain any weight. It was nice to meet up with friends for meals and not worry about what I was eating.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They do say that a "little of what you fancy won't hurt", but sadly it does. I started having the odd day with occasional treats and fell into the "bad ways" very quickly. I have put on weight and ruined my routine in the past couple of months simply because I got tired of "following the rules". Now I will have to start the hard work all over again - so please be EXTRA careful with your "days off" - you can quickly spiral out of control. I Did.

The thing about diabetes whatever the type is it doesn't take a day off, it may be more helpful to you to see low carb as a lifestyle to control your diabetes not a diet to lose weight. Use testing as a tool to what carbs do to your blood sugars, who knows you may be pleasantly surprised to see that you don't have to be super low carb and may be able to have more carbs than on a strict keto lifestyle :)

I do appreciate the danger of falling to a routine of having more and more days off, with fewer and fewer gaps etc.

I've explained in one of my other posts about some of my health problems. To put it bluntly, I'm too ill to even consider part time work , CFS/ME (along with other things) means there's days at a time where I have very little energy. When, to put it bluntly, I'm simply existing at home, without the energy to say play my piano, or tinker with my electronics hobby, I find weeks if not months go past and I've done literally nothing.

I bought a nice digital piano about 3+ years ago, the idea was, I'd try to play it just 30 mins a day. I bought a ton of electronic bits and pieces to learn and have fun with, about 2 years ago. I've yet to touch the electronics, and I'm lucky if I manage to play the piano once every 2 months, this is all due to my health, feeling nauseous 24/7, headaches, the pain, the tiredness.

5+ years ago my CFS/ME was so bad, there would be about 2 weeks in a year where I was really functional, thankfully after an operation, it got a lot better. Initially I thought I was cured, but I suppose an hypothetical example would be, before my operation I weighed 35 stone. After the operation I weight 25 stone, so compared to how much I used to weigh, I thought I was better, but the reality is, 25 stone isn't anywhere near an ideal weight.

I am currently under the pain management clinic at my hospital, wellbeing and my GP.

To add salt to the wounds, even though my GP etc all say it's not only impossible, but also foolish to even consider part time work, I still managed to score zero points on my Benefit medical (don't ask, too long a story) .

I'm in the progress of getting one of my pensions early (before I'm 55) , my GP has just returned the forms to them saying I wont be working again due to ill health (yet am fit enough to work according to the benefit office, go figure)

So at the moment, we are existing (just) on only my wifes salary which isn't huge. Thankfully we scrape buy with enough to pay the mortgage and pay all the bills, and there's only a few more years left on the mortgage.

Add all that together, and to be honest, life isn't really all that pleasant (don't mean that in any suicidal sort of way). My one enjoyment for many years was food. That was my ONLY enjoyment, and now that's been taken away from me.

I read people saying that after a while, if you eat something sweet etc you will hate it. Sorry, that will never ever happen to me, we are all different.

If I listed my all-time favourite things to eat, I'm not all that keen on many sweets, so that's a plus. But:

Off the top of my head, some of the things I love: (note, just because I love these things, doesn't mean I was eating them every week or month)

Lindt chocolate (bunnys etc)
Bakewell tart
Pork Pies (and yes I could go to a pork pie factory, see how they are made, and still eat one afterwards :) )
Scotch Eggs
Trifle (with orange segments not fruit salad)
Short bread
Roast with roast potatoes, bread sauce, Yorkshire pud etc
Fish shop fish in batter
A nice burger in a nice bun with all the trimmings
Apple pie
Ice cream
Doughnuts (jam and ring)
Indian with massive nan bread
Cadbury mini eggs
Water Mellon
Granny Smith Apples
Grapes
Scones
Warm crusty bread with jam on it
Strong coffee with milk
Speckled Hen and Hobgoblyn beer (I've had the pleasure of lager taken away from me as due to my operation, I can no longer drink anything fizzy)
Cider

You get the picture (and knowing me, I've missed some of the things I love the most).

There's nothing on that list I wouldn't lust after even if I didn't have any of them for the next 10 years

So I've gone from only having food as my one bit of enjoyment in life, to cutting all that out and living on a really bland keto diet.

I'm currently having streaky bacon and fried eggs for lunch (adding a few mushrooms on Sat and Sun)
100g cabbage with salt on, a couple of Lidl pork chops or one of their steaks for dinner

And that is it. At the beginning of this diet I tried a few recipes from diet doctor, but they were too time consuming or expensive, or I didn't really enjoy them.

I drink mainly water, if I'm cold I may have a black coffee, but I don't like it, I just tolerate it (love a white coffee) .

The thing with me is I like fairly plain food. Sure I love a curry, and I don't mind garlic in things, but I like potatoes to taste of potatoes etc. I'm not into all this what I call modern food (spices or herbs on everything). Give me a roast dinner, I will eat the potatoes first, then the veg, and eat the meat last, I never mix things on a fork. I want an apple pie to be just that, an apple pie, as soon as someone adds something like cinnamon, to me it's ruined.

If I look at the meals on diet doctor, blueberry pancakes LOOK good, but unless they taste just like a normal pancake, then they may as well call them something different. Plus I want maple syrup or Ice Cream on them, not whipped cream.

My point being, making similar things that aren't really the same, taste different, or are served with different things (such as not having syrup on a pancake), to me, there's no point, They aren't fooling me. I don't want to eat something that bears a slight resemblance to something I used to love but lacks everything about it that made me love it. I would rather not bother.

There's also the cost. A lot of things with pie crust or bread related all contain ground psyllium husk, 500g from Amazon is £8.49, it's simply not going to happen.

While I like plain food, if say I was out for dinner, the host could put almost any plate of food in-front of me and I could eat it (whether I enjoyed it or not is another matter) . The ONLY thing I really cant tolerate, I'm not allergic, but the taste makes me want to vomit, is coconut, even the slightest taste. A fair few recipes on diet doctor also use Coconut

Sorry if I'm coming across negative, not meaning to, just trying to explain where I'm at.

So for me, I'm, sticking to a strict under 20g keto diet to loose the weight quickly, then I shall up the carbs to about 50 - 70g and see how I go with that (at least I can eat a few more varied things). I've been on diets for the last 18+ years, not messing about this time, I'm going for it.

At my highest, my BMI was 44. It's currently 31. Everyone says to me "I bet you feel a lot better, have a lot more energy" etc, and the answer is "no". I feel zero difference, I am still in as much pain, I'm still falling asleep and permanently tired. Sure it's made my resting pulse rate better (as in not fast) and my blood pressure while always acceptable, his now much better, but I don't feel better one little bit.

This is the first year for as long as I can remember where I'm not having a chocolate advent calendar. Even the dogs have one :)

There's only so much a person can take. Sure if your fit in other areas etc, working, going to the gym, have hobbies etc, being diabetic is a real pain and a real struggle, but you've other things to take your mind off of the struggle, other things to reward yourself with.

I haven't. I hope you can understand why I have decided have a couple days off now and again. If I haven't got those days to look forward to, what have I got to look forward to?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Ojustaboo I gave you a winner medal because with all that you have been through/are going through you deserve to be yourself and have a treat once in a while.....yes, we can give you all the warnings, etc. but none of us walk in your shoes, know what you really are going through.....and sometimes we just need to lighten up and do something that brings us pleasure....something we can look forward to....so live as you need to live to survive, endure, see a bit of pleasure come your way....I don't think it will do you much harm to take a breath, enjoy a moment with your family and feel "normal", even if just for a day or two or even one meal....Blessings/L

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally get the dislike of pretending one food is another. It sets up false expectations for me. I’d really rather they did call it something new and that way I could just judge it on its merits not be sidetracked in disappointed by what it’s not.

I’m not working either and understands entirely the feeling that weeks go by without achieving anything. It’s hard mentally dealing with that. I do make the effort to celebrate even the most minor achievements (whilst trying hard to dismiss that little voice mocking the insignificance of the same). I guess I chase virtuous circles rather than destructive ones, but not entirely successfully.

I’d be bored and demotivated eating the same foods every day, resenting the hell out of the process. Even with your preferences I’m sure there’s a little more variety to be had. Vary the meat and which veg at the very least. How about things like bolgnaise without spaghetti or courgette alternatives or stews and casseroles or Sheperds pie either without topping or using alternatives eg celeriac or turnip/swede in a not too deep layer? A little very dark chocolate perhaps. That said my other half eats the same thing daily for breakfast and lunch and has done for years and it doesn’t bother him in the least.

You are doing really well but I agree quality of life is important too.

Last edited:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I have cfs too so I sympathize!!
But i view keto as a lifestyle not a diet. So I'm probably losing only about 2 pounds a month on about 1750 calories a day. My main aim is to keep the blood sugars low (I use a freestyle libre).
The main way I keep going is to vary the diet a lot. There are some yummy meals!!
I have coconut milk yoghurt with roasted pecans for dessert or sugar free jelly with double cream. I also have 2 squares of Lindt 90% chocolate every day. There is Oppo Ice cream.
Have made low carb quiche (spinach and smoked salmon). A lot of the dishes you mention can be made low carb.
I also attend online meetings of overeaters anonymous to stay accountable and I plan my meals.
're cfs, there are some fab Facebook groups I derive a lot of comfort from, e.g. 'chronic creatives' for people who have serious chronic illnesses but who wish to use their creativity. Pm me if you want more details of relevant fb groups.
Angela x

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like your body is handling those carbs fairly well to be honest. I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence, but it seems to have done you no harm.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all.

Just got myself a tub of oppo (chocolate and hazelnut). Just tried it, it's delicious :) But as usual it's also expensive.

Seriously considering seeing if I can get a ice cream maker for xmas, then I can make my own :)

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks like your body is handling those carbs fairly well to be honest. I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence, but it seems to have done you no harm.

I THINK that's probably because they put me on meds and I started my strict diet when my highest HB1AC reading was around 55. Had I not been going to the GP so often with other things, chances are by the time it was discovered, it would have been a lot higher.

My recent HB1AC test was 37