1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Taking insluin in public places like restaurants

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by corbanwolf, Sep 14, 2020.

1. corbanwolf

corbanwolf Type 1 · Active Member

Hey
    I sometimes go to restaurants or small diners. Unfortunately some of them don't have a toilets. And here's my question. How do you go about taking insulin in places where bathroom is not available. Is it okay to take inslin while at the table? Obviously making it discreete and quick but is it acceptable?

2. Emily95

Emily95 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You really shouldn’t take insulin in toilets. It’s unhygienic as there are airborne microbes. You should do it at the table, yes, if you want to, be discreet but it’s life saving medication- you need to take it so the table is fine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been doing it at the table for decades. A quick look round to make sure the waiter/waitress isn't just about to come over, followed by a quick jab from my insulin pen (it would have been a lot harder with a vial of insulin and a syringe but I got given an insulin pen at the same time as I was moved to multiple daily injections nearly 40 years ago). I also do my pre meal blood test at the table. Just be discreet.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

At the table

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Always at the table - in fact I find it harder when I'm at people's homes!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I prefer injecting into my legs, so from my bag to my leg under the table is easy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In any cafe or restaurant, everyone else is more interested in their meal, talking to their companions, reading the paper etc. It may sound unlikely, but it's true. I only started injecting at the table about 6 years ago, but I've been diagnosed for 56 years now. I only made the change after reading comnents on this forum and realised what was said was probably true. My husband was a bit dubious about my attracting attention at first, but it just doesn't happen 99% of the time. Only once have I noticed an elderly woman staring at me. I smiled and then ignored her. Nobody has ever said anything. Don't make this an extra thing to worry about. We all have more important matters to concern ourselves with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Since the advent of mobile devices.. Most "norms" are to enchanted looking at social media.
    Even when dining out with the "love interest?"
    So whilst they are busy Tweeting to hassle the diabetic about the injecting at the dinner table?
    I'm too busy working out the carb content & giving a quick bolus for it to worry about..

I carry my pen with a needle already attached. Deftly pull it out of the cargo pocket slip the cap, 2u airshot under the table.
    Do the needful.. Shorts? In the leg. Full length, lift the shirt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

49 years T1D and still have not used a toilet to inject. They are not the cleanest places as you are undoubtedly aware.
    People do not take much interest in what you are doing when eating out.
    No one complains when someone takes an inhaler.....just go for it wherever you are :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Simple answer is YES. I always think that simply just getting on with it is the best strategy, nobody else's business. Now if you administer it by whipping off your skirt and gamboling up the table squirting insulin everywhere that's a different matter. I always give thought to others in any public place though no matter what I am doing and as long as it's all legal(!) then it's all good. The toilet?, erm, I don't think so! x

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MattH892

MattH892 Type 1 · BANNED

I started off doing it in the toilet due to being a bit self conscious injecting in public, but felt like a junkie and just imagined the look on someones face if I was caught in the act :facepalm:

Table makes much more sense :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JenniferM55

JenniferM55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've seen many who've discretely injected at the table and I've thought nothing of it. It's life.... all part and parcel!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. ROE100

ROE100 · Well-Known Member

Now always at the table or where I am sat to eat, but yes back on teh 80's tolilet was my choice until I dropped my vial and it broke on the floor so then couldn't eat what I had ordered.

I once was in Paris early 00's and was near a popular torist attraction and we decided to eat in quiet corner - lots of very stern police working around with guns - so before I injected I checked phase book to check I could communicate diabectic then injected. Now if aboard or anuwhere I eating I just inject where I am.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Miriam12345

Miriam12345 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to be so embarrassed taking insulin in restaurants, so I would take it in toilets or wait (stupidly) until I got home and was sky high. Then I realised, there is no shame, I don't make a big fuss doing it, I do it through my clothes so no one is going to see anything major! I now do it at the table when I eat, much more hygienic and I feel absolutely no embarrassment, although I do try to be a bit discrete as I understand people do faint at the sight of needles.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook