Taking Metformin

carp5454

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
rudeness
Hi

I need some help. Please can someone tell me if feeling sick most of the time is part of taking Metformin 500mg.(I have being taking 2 a day for the last 3 weeks). At the moment I take one in the morning with my breakfast and the other one with my evening meal. Can you tell me if this is nornal.
I also take one Omperazole 20mg for Reflux oesophagitis in the mornings with my metformin.
and in the evening i take one Lisinopril 2.5mg with my metformin.

Davecarp5454

Private messageWebsite

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Dave,

Metformin can cause nausea. These feelings should subside after a few weeks. If they persist, ask your GP to prescribe Metformin SR, which is a slower release version, and has fewer side effects.

Regards, Tubs.

Katharine

You could try an experiment. Stop the metformin for 48 hours. If your nausea goes away then returns when you restart it you have your answer.

The longer acting version is more expensive so isn't routinely given. Your GP will usually give it to you if there is a good reason to do so such as not being able to tolerate regular metformin.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One tip I had for making Metformin more tolerable( I never had any trouble with itmyself) is to eat half your meal, then take the Met on a stomach that isn't empty.
Most people get used to it in a couple of weeks. There are a few that don't or aren't prepared to stick it out. I met one who went on to insulin fast because of that.