Taking tabs with water or what?

DeafDiabetic

Regardless of whether you're T1 or T2 and taking tabs for whatever reason, obviously, taking your tabs with a glass of water makes sense. However, there have been the odd few occasions (for example when out) and I've taken mine with something like diet coke or a cup of tea.

Is this ok? Would this affect the effectiveness of the tabs?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I do that all the time.....whatever is handy. Never had any problems.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I would test the odd tablet in a glass of diet coke first,,,if only for fun :D

Can happen with some tablets as well apparently diet coke has more co2 in as well

see MythBusters - Diet Coke & Mentos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbJELjLgZg

[youtube]LjbJELjLgZg[/youtube]

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just use whatever drink is handy at the time, usually water but if it's with a meal then whatever I'm drinking with the meal.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I take my tablets with anything from saliva through water and soft drinks to whiskey, beer and wine not noticed any difference in there effectiveness :D

I genuinely take whatever I have to hand at the time but have often taken pain killers with no drink at all when out and about, just pop them under my tongue and swallow. When needs must and all that :D

bowell

Dislikes

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Sid Bonkers said:
I genuinely take whatever I have to hand at the time but have often taken pain killers with no drink at all when out and about, just pop them under my tongue and swallow. When needs must and all that :D

Pardon my ignorance Sid, but how do you swallow the pills when they are under your tongue :?: 8)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take my morning ones with water and my evening ones with my benacol - but when I am out and about I take them with anything - like sid I can take them without anything - but my nurse friend said this isn't good because they stay in your gullet and don't go down to your stomach where they do their work - still do it though :twisted: :lol: .

A couple of weeks ago I was out with hubby for an Indian - he got a bottled lager and a pint glass half filled with lemonade - chattering away and not thinking I reached for his lemonade before he put the larger in and took a great big swig before, with and after my tabs - dawned on me a few minutes later I had just drank about 1/4 pint full sugar lemonade :shock: - I tested as I usually do - after a meal out (before 1.2 &3hr tests) and strangely enough it made not a jot of difference to my BS remained under 7 the whole time - can only think it was because I had just taken meds and was having food and a glass of wine - won't be trying it again to find out though

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
daisy1 said:
Sid Bonkers said:

Pardon my ignorance Sid, but how do you swallow the pills when they are under your tongue :?: 8)

Sounds strange when you say it like that doesnt it :lol: I dont know, I was just always told from when I was a small boy to put tablets under my tongue prior to swallowing them, perhaps my mum thought I wouldnt taste them like that , but its something I've always done.

Perhaps I shouldnt have said it out loud :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks for the explanation. It hasn't really cleared up the mystery. I've been trying it myself :lol:
I could only do it with homeopathic granules :?

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Indian tonic water, it helps with the cramps :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my tabs with whatever is handy. Usually is water, just because I've always got some handy! I can't get enough water!

Love it!

bowell

Dislikes
Indian tonic water, it helps with the cramps :D

Snap !!!
Takes some of the taste away from the odd vile tasting tablets
I find it helps me with odd bit of hart burn as well