Tarby reinforces a myth

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually didn't find what he says too bad - ok he says he has minor diabetes (hate that phrase along with mild diabetes! and a "touch of sugar":roll: )- maybe he was caught very early and was pre diabetic rather than full on raging T2 like I was.

He seems to be doing something right anyway as he is off the medication and now diet only and it says his results are in check. I know it doesn't say what diet and what his results are - but to be controlling by diet after 15 so years isn't to be sniffed at. I think it is better than some stuff these celebs churn out - but that's just my opinion :)

C

catherinecherub

He seems to have a limited knowledge about Type 2 diabetes as can be shown in his use of words like "slightly" and "minor" and we do not know what his diet or blood sugars are like. He is now 70 and his targets may not be the same as someone in their 30's as his Dr. may have decided to take a holistic approach and we also do not know if he has high BP and cholesterol.
The trouble with articles like this is that it reinforces the stereotypical view that this is not a serious disease. It is if you fail to control your blood sugars and the complications set in.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I found it irritating that he said it was 'minor diabetes' but perhaps he was borderline but then again he was taking tablets which he has come off of. I thought it was encouraging that he has had Type 2 for 20 years and has now come off medicines instead of increasing his tablets or going on to insulin. I think his love of golf has something to do with this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Mild Diabetes???????

Marzeater,

Jimmy hasn't beaten his diabetes condition, all he has done is learn to control it.

Nigel