Target Blood Sugar on Accu Chek Spirit Combo.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone answer this please?

On my Animas pump I would time in one number for my target blood sugar. I had it set for 5.5.

On the spirit I can't do this. You have to give a lower number and higher one. Mine are set for 4.0 and 7.0... Does the spirit calculate the average of these two numbers and aims to get you to that number?

Many thanks in advance 8)

josie38

Hi,

When i started my Combo, I was told that you programmed in your lower and higher numbers so that if your bs was higher than your hi number it would tell you to correct and if you were lower than your lo number it would tell you to take carbs and how many carbs. The facility is great if you are having a hypo cuz it will tell you how many grams of carbs you need to take to get you back on track so you avoid getting the rebound.

Hope this makes sense

josie

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Yes makes sense but if you're 12mmol and your higher programmed number is 7.0mmol does it tell you what insulin to bring you to 7.0mmol ? If that's the case I want mine lower than that. Mine always tells me to eat 12grams of carbs no matter how low I am.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I thought (stand to be corrected on this) that the combo pump had target ranges that act for two differing reasons...

1) It takes the lower target level and the upper target level and will try to return you to the middle point of these ranges...mine set at 5.5 lower and 7.5 upper....so it tries to get me back to 6.5.....

2) My targets are set at this so that on the reports, it gives me ...above, within, below and hypo...so with me...anything above 7.5 will be too high, within will be 5.5-7.5, below will be 4-5.5 and hypo anything under 4.
This enables myself a target to aim for....normal peoples (can I say that) do not have a steady, steady reading of bgs...so mine are set to get me to try and aim between a normal persons range...
If I had my combo set at lower target 6.5 and upper target of 6.5 the combo pump will show everything over 6.5 as too high, and everything from 4 to 6.5 as being too low....and reports will not be of much value if you use them...as it will be rare to hit an exact value of 6.5....

It also shows under the reports when worst times are i.e. premeal, post meal, other etc...and this helps me too..

To get your targets to within range you have to have your carb ratio's and correction bolus, and all the background info right...if this is, then I understood that the pump tries to get you back to the middle of the lower target and upper target range....

Hope this makes sense, I only think this is how it works, but it is how I use my combo pump....

bonerp

donnellysdogs said:
2) My targets are set at this so that on the reports, it gives me ...above, within, below and hypo...so with me...anything above 7.5 will be too high, within will be 5.5-7.5, below will be 4-5.5 and hypo anything under 4.

where is this setting?? In the pump or the meter? Just looking to see what mines set at!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
donnellysdogs said:
I thought (stand to be corrected on this) that the combo pump had target ranges that act for two differing reasons...

1) It takes the lower target level and the upper target level and will try to return you to the middle point of these ranges...mine set at 5.5 lower and 7.5 upper....so it tries to get me back to 6.5.....

This enables myself a target to aim for....normal peoples (can I say that) do not have a steady, steady reading of bgs...so mine are set to get me to try and aim between a normal persons range...
If I had my combo set at lower target 6.5 and upper target of 6.5 the combo pump will show everything over 6.5 as too high, and everything from 4 to 6.5 as being too low....and reports will not be of much value if you use them...as it will be rare to hit an exact value of 6.5....

It also shows under the reports when worst times are i.e. premeal, post meal, other etc...and this helps me too..

To get your targets to within range you have to have your carb ratio's and correction bolus, and all the background info right...if this is, then I understood that the pump tries to get you back to the middle of the lower target and upper target range....

Hope this makes sense, I only think this is how it works, but it is how I use my combo pump....

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense and I am going with this, my pump aiming for the middle number of the two numbers i have programmed in.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bonerp said:
donnellysdogs said:

where is this setting?? In the pump or the meter? Just looking to see what mines set at!

it's on the remote control where you programme in your ratios etc..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On combo remote:

It is under
Settings
Bolus advice
Time blocks
( press middle button for EACH time block)
Then it shows target ranges that can be altered)

Hope that helps...