Targets for pre conception

jade88

Hi everyone my partner an I want to start trying for our first baby I have had type 1 diabetes for past 10 yrs.
My last hbac1 was 8 so have a little bit of work to do. The nurse has told me to aim for readings of 6 -6.5 all the time - seems a bit ambitious post meals? Was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to achieve this? Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all at the moment and don't know any other female diabetics who have gone or are going through this process! xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd like to know this too, I've been type 1 for 30years and knowing what to aim for to be able to conceive would be fantastic.

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jade hope u r well! Im in exactly the same position as you at the moment me and my partner are planning on trying for a baby! my last hb was high too! This past month I have been really trying with my sugars hard work and never been through so many test strips! But hard work pays of... good to hear you want to get on track before trying :):):)

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey .
I am also type 1 diabetic and I'm now 22 have had diabetes since I was 7 .
Tomorrow me and my partner have got our first pre conception clinic . I could tell you what I get advice on bm readings pre and post meals if you like ?
We got told to have a hba1c of under a 7 % old money .

I'm pretty sure on my other post someone had posted on what your bm ranges should be . So will also see what I get advised tmz .

:):):)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Pre conception ... now there's a term I've not heard ... something for me to mull over there ... pre conception ....

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre conception ... now there's a term I've not heard ... something for me to mull over there ... pre conception ....
I'd never heard of it either , till I mentioned pregnancy , then got told to go down this route shall see what it's all about tomorrow haha
:p:p:p

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hahaha me tooo :D
clear.png

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Words and phrases often become pictures and images in my head ... I have this uncontrollable imagery thing and ...
pre conception and the nurse told me to aim .... well you know ....
dunno.gif

jade88

Every time I went for a check up they bang on about the risks of accidental pregnancy to the stage where I thought I was too scared to ever have a baby lol!
Told my nurse I wanted to start getting my body ready and have been referred to the hospital!
Yes girls if you could let me know how yours go would be great to feel prepared as at the moment have no idea what to expect! Nice to know there are others out there going through the same thing! xxx

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes your right they do, and that's what scared me and why im doing anything I can to get back on track.
This forum really helps too and definitely keeps me going lol!
I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 8 and am now 22 (23 in Aug) You would think I would have the hang of it by now but I definitely haven't! it still gets me.

The stage I am at the moment is I went to my gp last week who then has sent me for my Hb. Once the results are back he will then be referring me to pre conception clinic :)

what about you? how are you coping with your Bms?
x

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol Jack, I didn't realize how that sounds, but I am interested to know how you girls get on.

Reactions: 4 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds as if everyone has had it drummed in to thier head About safe sex to prevent accidentle pregnancies from a very young age .
Think it proves just how important it is to have good control . I think it's great how we've all listened to this advice and everyone seems to be going down the right path . And not just ' going for it ' it may take a while for us to get to that point , but it's so worth it to wait and be our healthiest for our selfs and for the potential baby .
As ' kirstfinley' asked , would be good to hear what each other bms are and see how were all doing .
My ' pre conception clinic ' is at 2 o clock today . Very nervous but very excited . I shall tell you all about it once I'm home and hopefully some of the information will help you all and visa versa .

Take care girlies .

jade88

Sounds like your both at same stage as me I have been to my gp now just waiting for my referral!
I am 26 and have been diabetic for 6 yrs. I was quite lucky as carb counting was taking off when
I was diagnosed so did that from day 1 - I was also able to do DAPHNE so hbac1 has always been fairly stable!
I tend to go high more often than low and tend to be higher in the mornings often have to do corrections which can lead to hypos so want get them before trying! How about you girls? Do you have an aim of when you'd like to start trying?
Hope your appt goes well cloe

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last bm was high..and am now looking to get it down to 6-7 before I start trying! I never went on the Dafne course but am looking to go on now... I was a terrible teen when it came down to my diabetes although it was better controlled as my mum dealt with it for me :) but was adamant I didnt want to go on any courses!

At the moment my bms are everywhere still trying to steady them out.... I am checking my bm more than I have in my life time I think lol my pooor fingers! But will be definitely worth it!

What insulin are you on...are you on a pump! Heard that so many people use the pump now

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone ,
Back from appointment and have got an answer to your question .
Whilst we're not pregnant before meals 4-7. 2 hours after meal under 10 .
When and only when pregnant you have different targets before meals 3.5 - 5.9 1 hour after meals 3.5 - 7.8

I was trying to get the pregnancy readings so was doing it wrong . The reason you don't is in your first trimester your bloods drop so if you was already on them levels before pregnant you'd have really bad hypos as baby takes your sugar .
I also go higher in the mornings can be a right pain in the bum ,

Nurses very happy with my overal blood test and hba1c , also my day to day bms also on folic acid . And I have been told it is now up to me when I decide to try hehe very happy with today .
Good luck to everyone else with there referrals , I hope you all get good news .

jade88

I take insulin nova rapid and levemir - have had pump suggested to me in the past but never appealed to me!
Congrats cloe that's brilliant news! Bet your so excited!
Thanks for tip on targets seems much more realistic to achieve those readings! How long have you been taking the Folic acid?
Did they give you any advice about your highs in the morning? xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take insulin nova rapid and levemir - have had pump suggested to me in the past but never appealed to me!
Congrats cloe that's brilliant news! Bet your so excited!
Thanks for tip on targets seems much more realistic to achieve those readings! How long have you been taking the Folic acid?
Did they give you any advice about your highs in the morning? xxx

I take lantus and novo rapid . I today have had the pump mentioned to me for pregnancy , they said I wouldn't qualify for one after the baby was born , but something to think about I am really really unsure as of what to do !! I've always been so against it like nope don't even tell me about it lol , but now I'm questioning it . Hmmm . Do you think you would go on one for pregnancy or want to do it on injections ?
I'm so glad it has helped you as it does get confusing getting told so many different pieces of info . But the team I saw today were really amazing made me feel so confident . They have changed nothing with my insulin ratios ect , as they had said I was dealing with it well myself . Mine changes all the time so have to change it all the time lol .
Yes very excited , my partner is over the moon the smile on his face today lol . So yeah just confused on pump or mdi .
I have been on folic acid for a month Thursday 5 mg , she said some people will wait 3 months some take it once pregnant some take it for a few weeks and try . So I think it might be personal choice . I will need to make a decision before I try and also need the pill to get out of my system but feels good I'm in that position and it is up to me now .
Wish you luck with your appointments .