Tasty Vegetable Pie - Opinions Please

Funky Mum

This is a recipe from a diabetic cookbook but it seems a bit strange to have tomato sauce in it being that can be high in sugar.

Base Soak bran in milk for 5 mins, mix flour and marg then add bran mixture to make a pastry. Roll out to line a pie dish.

1/2 cup All Bran
1/4 cup skimmed milk
2 tbsp marg
3/4 cup SR flour

Filling add all and mix and add to base

3 cups of soft, cooked veg
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
4 tbsp cottage cheese
salt and pepper

Topping add to top

3 tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs
2 tsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
2 tsp poppy seeds

The Diabetes Cookbook for the Whole Family - Melissa Armstrong, Jill Gosper and Eileen Burr

The recipe states its 28 g carbs per portion and it makes 6 portions. It really is nice and I'd make it again.
I feel very nervous reading the ingredients :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well the best thing to do is to test.
Personally, and not because of the carbs because for me it's fine, I would substitute passata for tomato sauce. Then there would be no added sugar/salt etc

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, now THIS am going to definetely give a whirl ... its just up my street! :D I adore most of these ingredients and can already picture it baked in my rangemaster! Am scribbling it down now to do at the weekend. Thanks Funky Mum ! any more you got? please pop them on here, usually the word of mouth n easiest to rustle up ones are the best for me. Thanks again. Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
P.S perfect a slice of this with a salad alongside it! Yum Yum... Anna.x :D

louiseb

Is there flour missing from the ingrediant list for pastry?
Method for base says mix flour and marg, but there is no flour on the ingrediant list.

Im going to try this receipe myself however Im going to make a pastry base with ground almond flour and small amount of butter and water, as I dont fancy bran flakes.

josie38

I think the trick is to test afterwards. But in context if you are only adding 3tbsp of tomato sauce for the whole pie then portion ratio its not a lot of sugar. When trying new recipes I portion ratio it down eg if it serves 6 then technically you are only getting a 6th of the sugar in the sauce when looked at like that its not a lot.

Funky Mum

Sorry yes have amended the recipe for the flour. Will add some more :)
It really was nice, the cottage cheese put me off a bit but it was nice.

Thanks for the opinions, I will try with almond flour too.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This is a recipe from a diabetic cookbook but it seems a bit strange to have tomato sauce in it being that can be high in sugar.

At 28 gm per portion far too high for me !

You could probably bring down the carb level by substituting something less carby for the breadcrumbs and use a lower carb flour. Grated cauliflower would go nicely with a cheese topping.

Not sure if you mean allbran as in the cereal but that has 19.2gm of carb per 40gm serving so again that could be substituted or even left out.