Tattoo?

diabetic_tigs

Hey hey

I may have asked on here earlier about this, but nevermind...

Ive been type one diabetic for about 13 years, and my control is fairly good, although not great! Last saturday - a week ago today, I went and got a small tattoo on my hip.. its my dad's initials and 2 musical notes and 2 hearts, so fair small and simple. 7 days on and it has scabbed over well and is just beginining to peel... which is supposed to happen. I was told it would be really itchy, but it hasnt itched at all.

Just wondering if there are any other tattooed type 1s on here and what their experience of getting a tattoo was like - the heeling process etc. I keep worrying mine isnt going as it should be or that my diabetes is going to effect it.

Cheers x

kimberleyk45

Dislikes
ketones!
i've been type1 almost 4 years & have 3 tattoos. i never experienced any itching or irritation with any of my tattoos. they scabbed over & peeled & that was that. every1 is different so i wouldnt worry!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
HI, i've been type 1 for 25 years, have 3 (small) tattoos and a piercing and all fine, no itching or unnecessary scabbing or anything! Do you have good BG control? if you do, then no reason why you should have any problems :D

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
type 1 with 16 tattoos and no probs just follow the instructions and you'll be fine :D

NeedleMagnet

Dislikes
See likes. Particular likes are Food, Archery, Walking
diabetes will not effect your tattoo at all unless you have serious complications and/or circulation issues. When I save enough money I'm going to get a tattoo in a few months :)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

I have 7 tattooes and i have been a Type I diabetic for a long time. Important is that you go to a well respected good tattoist who takes care of high levels of hygiene. Mine healed up fine and followed strictly all rules for after care which should be followed also by none diabetics.
Some of my tattoos are 20 years old and still as good as the day i got them.

thomasboleyn

I have *loads* of tattoos, all of which I have had since becoming diabetic, and all have healed absolutely fine. Just make sure you take good care of them in the weeks after the session. Haemorrhoid cream is very good for them and for retaining colour by the way...don't ask why..something to do with blood vessels apparently :lol:

Jenni_1984

I've been diabetic 20 years and have 2 tattoos - one of which is fairly big. No problems with the healing. Agree with previous poster that the biggest concern is making sure you go to a reputable tattoo parlour.

Jenni

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
I've had 5 (have all the complications) and no problema. Healed beautifully with no problems. BUT...that was when I got a reputable artist.

First time I just walked into a random place in Camden. It took weeks to heal, the colour in the middle went green and horrible and the colour came out in the healing.
Basically I went to a piece of cr*p place.
So I did my research..chose **** **** *** ****** in Camden London (I will say they are the best guys in the UK...tops!)..got a bunch of new ones and that bad one re-done.
Perfect. I was so happy ( I got 3 in consecutive days..haha)
They did not even scab, Healed perfectly. Proud of them.

The difference in the ink used, hygiene, professionalism...everything...just wow. Nada regrets. The key really is a reputable artist.

Snodger

I've actually come across a couple of Type 1s who have had their status (i.e. "Type 1 diabetic") tattooed on their arms instead of a medic alert bracelet. I thought that was an interesting way of making sure any paramedics, etc, know about it. But not sure I personally am brave enough to announce it to the world permanently on my skin.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I have the Cadeceus and 'Diabetic' tattoo'd on the inside of my wrists.

I am diabetic, that will never change. I always forget my medic alert jewelery, and this way, i never have to worry about it.

Preperation H used to be the best thing... but nowadays Bepanthen is so much better. It reduces inflamation, and provides a barrier so it keeps in the moisture and prevents dryness / scabbing.

I just had a geisha and mountain lion on my ribs..... owww.... but so pretty.
Went hypo a few times lol.... it takes it out of you so much. Had pie and potato's before, injected half my usual, still needed a can of coke.

The artist is the most important thing.