Tattoos

Lucyturner

Hi everyone, just a quick question about getting a tattoo when you are type 1 are there any problems with it?

Lucy

Marfmama

Hi Lucy - I can only speak from personal experience not expert advice. I got a lot of tattoos before I was diagnosed and I have had a few since with no problems. The only time I had a bad time was a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed I got a large piece in a painful area and vomited. I thought I was being a wimp at the time but can now connect it to my uncontrolled sugars. I have read that certain parts of the body take longer to heal due to poor circulation and I have to say that my feet did take a very long time to heal and I still have to moisturise them every day as they get quite dry - these were done about 4 years before diagnosis though! My advice would be to eat well before you get it done and keep hypo remedies handy, drink plenty of water, research the artist you are going to to make sure they are clean and know what they are doing and follow their aftercare instructions carefully x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

richtrott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The bad control day's
I have 8 tattoos all done since I was diagnosed 31 years ago, I have had no problems with mine apart from they do take a little longer to heal up and you do need to take time making sure you keep it clean.

Lucyturner

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm going to a place called snakeskin and it has been recommended by my brother in law as the tattooist is the 3rd top freestyle. so I'm not worried about the hygiene side off things. I'm really looking forward to it as it will be my first ever tattoo.

Lucy