TEA Good Bad or Ugly?

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me on the subject of tea? I noticed my levels rise from 5 to 8 yesterday, and the only thing I had had was a cuppa! I immediately made a search on the Internet, only to come up with different opinions. Many said tea was good for diabetes, whether green or normal, and others said that normal tea has caffeine in it, and can increase blood sugar levels? Anyone got any advice on this please?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello foxy in Cyprus, I have not noticed any rise in my levels from drinking tea. A rise from 5 to 8 is quite substantial and I think your tea would have to be full of sugar to have caused such an increase.
Did you repeat the test to check the high reading? Whenever I get a reading I don't understand I always retest just in case it was caused by some contamination on my hands or maybe a faulty test strip.
The only way to be certain that your cuppa isn't causing you problems is to repeat the test today

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes have a cup of tea if I am worried about my levels between meals, there is sugar in the milk, I don't know if that helps...

Reactions: 2 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello foxy in Cyprus, I have not noticed any rise in my levels from drinking tea. A rise from 5 to 8 is quite substantial and I think your tea would have to be full of sugar to have caused such an increase.
Did you repeat the test to check the high reading? Whenever I get a reading I don't understand I always retest just in case it was caused by some contamination on my hands or maybe a faulty test strip.
The only way to be certain that your cuppa isn't causing you problems is to repeat the test today
Hi, Thanks for that. Yes, I retested 3 times. I had had 2 cups of tea, with no sugar and skimmed milk! Yes, I guess I will have to experiment again today. grrr!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Lots of things can have an impact on our sugar levels, stress, physical exertion or if you hadn't eaten in a while it could have been your liver thinking you were going to starve to death and helping you out with a shot of glucose.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tea is good for everyone as it contains antioxidants, especially green tea.

You can buy decaffeinated tea's & coffee's (not sure if they are available in Cyprus) and they don't taste any different, as @catinahat says test again today and see what results you get.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you eat or drink anything before your 5 test?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Decaf tea tastes like dish water to me.
I drink a mug of tea with skimmed milk. It raises my levels by about 0.5mmol/l but only during the first hour, then back to normal.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's more likely to be the milk than the tea . If virtually all the fat is removed, then to make it up to 1 litre, the dairy has to add more skimmed milk. The milk sugar (lactose) and milk protein are mostly in the liquid not the fat. Cream is high in fat but low in protein and lactose. Unless you're on a low fat diet for some medical reason, you could try whole ie full fat milk or lactose-free milk and see if they make a difference.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Tea is the best drink in the world, I love it and have semi skimmed milk with mine
images