Teenage parties

dot

Can any parents of teenage T1s give me some guidance on how best to handle the issue of teenage ****-ups?

I am worried about the possible implications of my son drinking in the company of an group of mates who are pretty much incapacitated. He is realy quite sensible and I don't think he would be dumb enough to get plastered, but I am worried about him confusing being hypo with having had too much to drink, especially as there is unlikely to be anyone else about to keep an eye on things.

How do others manage? At the moment, he is avoiding alcohol at these parties, but feels that marks him out as different.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my 15 yr old daughter ended up in hospital after getting very drunk with friends, luckily they had the hindsight to phone me( as she was going to stay at a friends)I took her home but she continued to vomit so i phone paramedics for advice they arrived quickly and took her to hospital.T hey just let her be sick checked her levels very regulary and let her sleep it off.They were very good to her but when she woke up she was given a lecture about drinking and diabetes by a young dr, she did take it in. She was frightened by what happened and embarrassed, has she done it again... yes but not to that extent but i was very cross with her. Shes been to lots of parties since but hasnt had a drink! Im hoping its out of her system (mainly).Unfortunately teenagers do experiment in drink and i am not that silly to realise most will do it.Im thankful she hates smoking ect.It sounds as if my daughter is a tearaway which she isnt - shes a good girl apart from those two incidence honest...Id say you have to trust them to do the right thing( i do normally trust her) but be prepared i always always make her take juice and snacks in her bag even if going to town/park ect.Being a parent of a teenager is worrying enough but being a parent of a diabetic teenager is a very hard, i worry constantly about her to the point ive become overprotective but hey..

Akash

Im 17 newly diagnosed so in a similar position. However I've had a bit to drink a couple of times since diagnosis, even my DSN said to carry on doing the things you would normally do, just be a bit more cautious. For example the first couple of times i just took some sweets with me and had one every hour to stop them from falling it did also help that my friends mum was diabetic so he kinda knew the signs etc. But even if you go high for a night its better then going low, and you can always get it back down in the morning. Eating something carby before bed is also very good e.g. Toast. I would also just recommend checking your levels before bed (If you can) or just making sure there higher instead of low. Hope this helped a bit.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

apples-mum

Hi, am a bit late in posting a reply but hope you get it! Im the mum of a T1 girl but she's only 12 so am not quite at the **** up stage! Can you let a few of his mates round to yours, let them get the beers in and let your son learn how it affects him in the safety of home first? You can be on hand if he needs you, and provided he doesn't get plastered (!) he & his mates can witness the effects for future reference. Kids will be kids, but nice to see you're not burying your head in the sand. Hope it goes well!

John7956

Going out with friends is a normal desire for a young person and drinking can be part of that. But what people seem to forget is that diabetic or not, drinking is dangerous and should be done in moderation.

It might have just been the people I was out with (7 student nurses and myself) but I got absolutely plastered once (I know I've just said you shouldn't!!) (15 pints and about 10 tequilas) but they all knew how diabetes worked and what to look out for. They took it in turns to test my BG every 10 minutes until my dad picked me up. A little education can go a long way

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mark2605

I'm 18 and have been to a few parties. My diabetes nurse has told me to balance drinking alcohol with a sugary drink, since alcohol lowers blood sugars, the sugary drink will increase them. I make sure I regularly test my blood sugars as well to see what's going on. Good luck with it :) my mom worries about me too