Telling DVLA about Diabetes

Pauly21

Hi, I've been talking to a friend of mine who has been diabetic for 14 years. He has been on insulin for about 12 years and is type 1, and he has a BIG problem. He has never been told by anyone that he had to inform the DVLA about his diabetes and has only just found out that he should have.
He is so stressed that the DVLA will take his licence off him and he'll lose his job as he won't be able to drive.
Does anyone know how will the DVLA react if he fills in the medical notification form now when he should have done it 12 years ago. There is one question on the form asking when "insulin date was started", that's not going to be good i would have thought.
I don't really know how to advise him, apart from he has to inform them.
Does anyone here know the answer to this problem?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not 100% sure. My guess would be "better late than never !". Why don'y you call DVLA and ask them ? They are very helpful. You don't need to give names etc, just ask as a general enquiry.

mark5745

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like mo1905 said, but they will so find out it would be good if you let people know on here what the outcome is hopefully they will just give them a short licence for 1 /2 or 3 years like most diabetics get

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BobCornelius

I was diagnosed t2 nearly 3 yrs ago, didn't start insulin till last year, so notified dvla then, quoting diagnosis date etc. They were perfectly reasonable, I now have a license valid for 3 years!

Given that our mate has not had an incident or crash related to hypo in the time he has been diagnosed should go in his favour! All they want you to declare, basically, is that you are hypo aware, know how to treat it, test before driving, and be honest about whether you have needed assistance to deal with a hypo!

I wouldn't worry, go ahead with the process! Unless they are unsafe to drive, no reason why anyone should lose their license!

:)

Bob

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Do you only need to tell them if you take insulin, and how do you get a renewal after the 3 years?

steviedib

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who park on pavements
Beware of the restrictions on the 3 year licence, read the driving class carefully.

Also you will need to carry a spare meter , test before driving and every 2 hours during the journey. :think:

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
steviedib said:
Beware of the restrictions on the 3 year licence, read the driving class carefully.

Also you will need to carry a spare meter , test before driving and every 2 hours during the journey. :think:

DVLA are very good at removing driving classes, I past my test in the 70's prior to the vehicle restrictions on size and weight limits imposed on people passing their tests now. I informed DVLA of a illness and when I eventually got my licence back a good few entitlements to drive vehicles were removed.

Also worth looking at the codes they add to the plastic part of your licence, mine has several codes added like having to wear glasses all the time I am driving.

fankieboy

You must tell DVLA about taking insulin with type1 diabetes. Details can be seen on the DVLA website.
More importantly you need to advise employer so that they can advise their insurer.
Your own motor insurer if applicable, probably needs to be advised as well. Failure do so may mean you are driving without insurance cover.

petertremelling

Hi, Guys! You don't need to tell DVLA if your diabetes is controlled by diet. BUT if you start on medication you MUST tell DVLA. The usual respomse (if you don't have hypos and are treated with tablets only) is that your licence will continue to age 70, as long as if your condition worsens that you write to them. HOWEVER, if you start on treatment with insulin, again you must tell them in writing, and permit them to consult your doctor. The usual response is that you get a 3 year licence, and that a reminder will be sent before expiry. Don't under any circumstance consider not telling them. If you were to be involved in an accident which could be in any way due to your diabetes then apart from any legal action which DVLA might take you would be prosecuted for not having insurance and all that might mean.

steveinblackpool

Hi guys :)

I did the same thing when i passed my driving test in 1982.
T1 diabetic since age of 9yrs old and when applying for my licence at the age of 16 my dad (god bless his soul) told me not to mention that I was diabetic. I passed my driving test, got insurance, told them I was diabetic and all was ok.

Then about 1990 I had to change insurance company, but they wanted confirmation from DVLA that they had been informed :(
All I did was ring them up and i think they sent me a form to fill in so they could access my medical records. There was no big deal as to why I hadnt told them before but im glad I did

grantthoms

I've just gone on to insulin treatment and have been told by my consultant that I have to keep 3 months of blood sugar records, including keeping the testing machines to verify the results, in order to drive. Not sure if anyone else has been told that but I'm waiting for the DVLA to return my licence at the moment.

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars
I've been a type 2 on medication for 7 years. i informed them and my insurers when I was diagnosed, and all they said was "Ok, keep us informed if you switch to insulin". Otherwise than that, my license and insurance are unaffected

Karen JD

Your friend doesn't really have any choice with this really they can't go on not informing DVLA so do it and like others have said if they haven't had problems with driving and being diabetic before there can't be too much of a problem to deal with.