1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Temporary Basal Rates

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Poppy2, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Poppy2

Poppy2 Type 1 · Active Member

Hello everyone, I am trying to experiment with using Temporary Basal Rates for exercise and periods of unexpected activity!! I would love some feedback of how/what other pumpers do just as a guide? Exercise wise I intend to start gently with some swimming/cross trainer. Also do people generally leave their pump insitu if it's only a short session of say 20-30 mins? (Not swimming of course!!) many thanks

2. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally for me some examples are for 1 hour swim, disconnected from pump I need to have a 20 carb snack before and a small snack after. Just because I would have a bolus active and also full basal up until swimming. This is because if I was to use a temp basal prior I would be too high before swimming. If I was eating immediately before swimming I would only bolus 50% and not have a snack beforehand.
    For a gym session I would put basal too 50% and if blood range was normal before hand would again have a 20 carb snack. If eating a meal within 2 hours after would need a reduced bolus. All individual and just a case of seeing what works best for you. I could maybe do further reductions but do not want to lose weight as it was a very big struggle to regain what I lost prior to being diagnosed type 1, 3 years ago, but, want to keep fit and active.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Poppy2

Poppy2 Type 1 · Active Member

Thank you for sharing an example of what works for you. I appreciate that everyone has different routines that work for the individual, I was interested to learn about what forum members do as often they share realistic options that books may not even consider/mention.

4. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Poppy.

When I'm unwell I usually increase by 20% to sometimes 150% depending on the need.

For activities it depends on the type and duration, I try to not eat carbs first so if its a planned activity I'd reduce basal an hour before by between 20-80% then keep it reduced during the activity, raising it again back to normal about 30 mins after I've finished. Setting depending upon my levels before and during the activity (wearing a Dex does help a lot with this). I try to avoid needing to have a snack if I can.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook