TENS Machines

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have degenerative arthritis in my lower spine (spondylitis) and for as long as I can remember have had very bad referred leg pain which is akin to sciatica but in my case the pain is mainly on the inside of the leg rather than the outside (sciatica).

The pain can be anywhere down my leg from the groin to the big toe and can go from not hurting at all to my being unable to walk and almost crying with pain within minutes and can come on without warning. I do take DF118 Codeine but only take them when the pain is very bad as they give me constipation, the only other relief I get is from hot gel pads - the reusable kind - applied to the lower back which allow me some relief and allow me to get some sleep if only for an hour or so.

Anyway sorry for the boring pre amble but I have just ordered a TENS machine in the hope that it may give me some side effect free pain relief and wonder if anyone else uses one for similar or other pain relief.

I understand the pain relief TENS machines are different from those used in pregnancy .

Anyone?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
We sell them at work and they are very popular with patients who have back problems.

Have you thought about whether acupuncture might help?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope it brings you some relief Sid!

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Hi Sid,
have you tried the Bioflow magnetic bracelets? Been using them for years for all my aches and pains and they have really helped. Also used them on my old dogs[all gone now ime afraid] but they seemed to benefit.

Andy

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid.
TENS was originally invented for chronic back pain about 30 years ago I think. They can now be used for almost any type of pain, anywhere in the body. The ones adapted for use in labour came later and the research says they are a valuable tool for women in early labour. I don't know about any other pain, only because i have a vested interest in all things reproductive!

wiflib

PS, don't forget to claim your VAT back

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thanks for all the replies so far, it should be delivered some time this week so Ill find out soon enoughif it will be of benifit I guess, a lady on another forum I post on has been using one for sciatica and swears by it :D

wiflib said:
PS, don't forget to claim your VAT back

Cheers wiflib I hadnt even considered that aspect :thumbup: although buying it off ebay I doubt if I will get a vat invoice :(

lauren_gee_x

Hi. My mum has really bad rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and we have recently bought her a tens machine. Which she find absolutely brilliant, she uses it at least 3 times a day and is getting a lot of pain relief from it. We got hers from lloyds pharmacy for around £30 x

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Many may have dismissed the idea of magnetic bracelets given earlier but I have one and a ring too. You can get decent ones cheap via the web & even if they don't work for you at the worst you have an item of jewellery. I certainly feel the difference when I don't have the ring on

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was given a magnetic bracelet about 10 years ago by my son who was going out with a girl whos father had the franchise for them in this country and it did nothing whatsoever to relieve the pain. I know copper bracelets work for rheumatism but unfortunately I have nerve damage in my lower back due to the arthritis and no amount of copper or magnets is able to help me :(

Thanks for your input though :D

Defren

Hi Sid, some years ago I was given a Tens machine by the OT for chronic arthritis. I was diagnosed at 29 and warned I would be in a wheelchair at 40 it was that bad. I used the Tens machine a lot and it really did help, although there were days I wish there were more than four pads :D As with all things, it stopped working, and the OT wasn't then part of my HCT and it wasn't replaced. I bought one some years later, but when that went to Tens heaven I didn't get another. Now I am on a huge cocktail of pills to ease the pain, and have recently thought of buying another, as they really do work. You just have to learn to position the pads to get maximum benefit.

I staved of the wheelchair at fourty, but at 46 succumbed, the pain is dreadful at times, and almost unbearable, a Tens really would help.

I have just talked myself into a new one - thanks Sid :mrgreen:

Reactions: Megnala

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I don't want to dissolution you Sid, but I found the Tens machines did little for my OA. I also found that the dihydrocodeine would barely take the edge off when any temporary remission had expired. What I have found to be of help when I can't bare the stabbing any more is Temgesic under-the-tongue small tablets. The are made of buprenorphine and work very quickly compared with the lesser dihydrocodeine.

Defren

Hobs said:
I don't want to dissolution you Sid, but I found the Tens machines did little for my OA. I also found that the dihydrocodeine would barely take the edge off when any temporary remission had expired. What I have found to be of help when I can't bare the stabbing any more is Temgesic under-the-tongue small tablets. The are made of buprenorphine and work very quickly compared with the lesser dihydrocodeine.

I find dihydrocodine does little for me either, I have also had Tramadol, that worked for a while then didn't help any more. Doctor upped the dose and again, helped for a while. I am now back on DF118 with paracetamol. I take so many tablets (16 at bed time alone) that I need to find a solution. I am going to order another tens as they did work for me. I think as with everything we are all so very different, and it's all trial and error.

KniFoam

My mum had a similar issue, however she bought from Med-Fit.
Had one from lloyds a while back but it didn't work as well, plus it fell to bits.

think this is the product she bought the premier tens.