Tesco Diet Plan

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just today subscribed to Tesco Diabetic Type 2 meal plan at a cost of £30 for 3 months. I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and wanted to find a meal plan which would help me get over the confusion of what to eat to aid my blood glucose levels and I thought the Tesco plan would be perfect.

However, upon looking at my plan for my first week, I can see straight away that the nutritional value of each food shows only the fat, protein, total carbs and calories. But doesn't show the sugar?

Then I uploaded my first week into Tesco.com which I think is an awesome tool. Upon looking through my basket I spot Tesco Low Fat Garden Fruits Yogurt 6X125g. Alarm bells ring due to the 'low fat' in the title. Looking at the nutritional value, I see that one pot of this yoghurt contains 17.9g of sugar. Surely this should not be selected for a diabetic meal plan? I added the ingredients for the first meal which I should be having for breakfast tomorrow into an app to work out the sugar content myself. The entire meal has 58g sugar in it. I then look to supper for the first day of my meal plan – Fruit Salad. This contains 39g of sugar. In total this is 97g of sugar. The daily recommended allowance for an adult is 90g.

I do not understand how tesco can place meals such as these into a diabetic meal plan. I can change selected items but without seeing the sugar content of foods without having to upload to Tesco.com how is anyone supposed to be able to know what to change it to. Especially someone newly diagnosed who needs some help to get over the confusion...

Help...!? Yours in Confusion x

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks...the carb content for the first day is 205g yet it list the dra ad 165g... :???:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
205g of carbs is quite high for a low carb diet. Why pay tesco money when you can google the info for free or there are free apps for your phone etc.
Respect for at least being pro-active regarding your nutrition but I wouldn't trust a supermarket with my diet. Good luck though ;-)
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ask for your money back.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi RainbowBrite, :)
Not to sure how the Tesco plan actually works, nevertheless I am sure you will save a few ( £ ) quid in the 3 months with all the good offers Tesco will give you.
Keep in touch with how it all goes.

your question "how is anyone supposed to be able to know what to change it to. Especially someone newly diagnosed who needs some help to get over the confusion..." I would tackle Tesco directly regarding that very good point.

Best of luck,

Roy. :)