Tesco - poor response to a valid query

bonerp

See below following correspondence between Tesco and myself - I find this quite disappointing. My follow on response was asking why other sandwich makers can provide the carb content but Tesco seem unable to. I am going to push this info to Diabetes UK (if I can find an email address) in the hope they can lean on Tesco.
Having worked in a company that makes sandwiches, its quite easy to work out!

Paul

--- Forwarded message ---
Date: 21 May 2014 12:42:40
Subject: Re your recent enquiry
To: ######@hotmail.co.uk
Hi Paul
Thank you for contacting Tesco with regards to the Carbs not being listed on our Tesco Sandwiches.
I do appreciate your comments but this would be very difficult to do due to the fact that no pack would be the same weight or have the exact same amount of filling say Cheese for example. This would also be the case for the Bread and any other ingredients such as mayonnaise or pickle.
With regards to Diabetes we do not sell a particular range for Diabetics as the British Diabetic Association says no food is out of bounds but food choices are an important part of your diabetes management. Eating a balanced diet – that is fruit and vegetables, starchy foods, non-dairy sources of protein and dairy – is something we should all try to do. It’s fine to have a treat every now and again but the foods you choose are an important part of your diabetes treatment, along with medication, testing and being active.
Your practice nurse and/or dietitian will give you details on a healthy diet. The diet is the same as recommended for everyone. The idea that you need special foods if you have diabetes is a myth. Diabetic foods still raise blood glucose levels, contain just as much fat and calories and are usually more expensive than non-diabetic foods. Basically, you should aim to eat a diet low in fat, salt and sugar and high in fibre and with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Thanks again for contacting us and if there is anything else I can do for you, please reply to this email. Alternatively, you could call us on 0800 505555/0330 123 4055, quoting reference number: 16859833, where my colleagues will also be more than happy to assist.
Regards
Frances Brierley
Tesco Customer Service
~b936556.TMP

.................. Original Message ..................

To: [email protected]
Received: 19/05/2014

Subject: Tesco Customer Service Enquiry Call Form

Title: Mr
First Name: Paul
Surname: ####
Option: Other

Wish a reply: yes
Additional Information: Hello,
I have just purchased a packet of sandwiches from your swindon town centre metro store. As a diabetic I need information on the number of carbs in the product but this is not available, only for 100g. This would be fine but then you don&apos;t provide the packet weight so I cannot work it out.
I find this quite surprising as Tesco are linked to Diabetes UK.
I hope you can immediately add either the total carbohydrate by packet size of the weight of the item to enable us to work out how many carbs are in the packet?

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am flabbergasted that a supermarket customer service worker deems it appropriate to give a diabetic dietary advice. Especially rubbish advice :mad:

Reactions: 18 people

bonerp

shocking isnt it. I did state that I didnt ask for advice about my diet or diabetes management...! The fonts were different in the email so they obviously just copied stuff from somewhere!

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that it is probably difficult to get an exact weight given the nature of sandwiches so may be they are concerned about breaking the law
. Marks and Spencers though have managed to give nutritional breakdown for the pack alongside per 100g for many for years though.

It looks as if the person replying has then linked a standard reply to those who were asking about why they don't stock diabetic foods. That's lifted straight from the DUK advice/campaign about such foods. (must be an old reply though, how long is it since the BDA rebranded themselves as DUK?)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really interesting, it was a great idea to take this up with Tesco. Could you send your comments to a radio programme on consumer issues maybe?

This is a good example of the accepted poor dietary advice that the population in general is getting. I've noticed that fresh bakery products are often not tagged with nutritional data - not just in Tesco, but in other supermarkets too. Surely, an average nutritional analysis per 100g for any fresh product should be possible?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a page in NHS choices that said all that before LGC got it altered. Sounds like Tesco are dishing out wrong and old advice. Not good.

bonerp

Most package sandwiches have this info now. It is easy to calculate very accurately and its lazy that they don't. I suspect its took much agro to change their packaging.

I have written to Diabetes UK for advice and hopefully some pressure from them on Tesco.

bonerp

Really interesting, it was a great idea to take this up with Tesco. Could you send your comments to a radio programme on consumer issues maybe?

This is a good example of the accepted poor dietary advice that the population in general is getting. I've noticed that fresh bakery products are often not tagged with nutritional data - not just in Tesco, but in other supermarkets too. Surely, an average nutritional analysis per 100g for any fresh product should be possible?

any suggestions?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
any suggestions?

Radio 4 'You & Yours'? They have a comment form on their website.

Worth a try to help get this issue changed.

I didn't know most sandwiches are labelled with their nutrition data, but I've never understood why fresh-baked bakery goods don't have to have this labelling.

I've also noticed that, at the last look, admittedly some time ago, Bonne Maman products didn't have nutrition labelling either. Why can some product manufacturers get away with it?

I think there's also a side-issue with the quality of the nutrition data where it does exist: it's position and legibility. But one step at a time. Tesco's sandwiches first!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! That is so bad on so many levels.

All they need to do is add a packet weight to the product - I quite like the 'carbs per 100g' approach as it standardises the measurement, but it is absolutely dependent on knowing how much the product weighs! With the information currently on the pack, I would be unable to accurately calculate my insulin dose.

Tesco Customer Service staff should NEVER presume to give dietary advice on managing a medical condition - that is shocking and dangerous.

Smidge

bonerp

Wow! That is so bad on so many levels.

All they need to do is add a packet weight to the product - I quite like the 'carbs per 100g' approach as it standardises the measurement, but it is absolutely dependent on knowing how much the product weighs! With the information currently on the pack, I would be unable to accurately calculate my insulin dose.

Tesco Customer Service staff should NEVER presume to give dietary advice on managing a medical condition - that is shocking and dangerous.

Smidge

indeed! It implies I need to carry around a set of scales just because as a minimum they don't add the product weight. Its not rocket science...

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would take this further and ring the number she gave you and make a complaint about her quoting her name.
That is an appalling reply!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scardoc

My advice is give it up. A sandwich with two slices of bread, either white or brown, and a filling of your choice? Any carb counting diabetic should be armed with the information already and not dependant on the packet to tell them. Too many people expect to have everything there laid out for them and if there's one thing this forum has proven over many years it's that arming yourself and educating yourself in all aspect diabetes is the best way ahead.

As for Tesco's response: we, as diabetics, should actually be quite happy that 1. they support a diabetes charity and 2. they acknowledge that there is no merit in a diabetic friendly range and don't just have one for the sake of profiteering. Their response states that "your practise nurse/dietician will give you details on a healthy diet" and yes, they are quoting what is "recommended for everyone" and this comes from the Government. Whether you subscribe to that or not they are not going out on a limb and making up their own advice.

There are some just causes out there worth pushing but for me, this just ain't one of them.

Reactions: 17 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so wrong on so many levels and disgustingly patronising!!

The first paragraph explaining the reasons why being no two sandwiches would weigh the same, poppycock! I used to make sandwiches at a bakery for the 6 shops they owned, in excess of 500 sandwiches a day, all portion controlled and measured with scoops etc, and how can two slices of bread be different? What a crock of ....., this could apply to anything sold in a packet, says more about their production line and staff and portion control!

I am usually very laid back and have a bit of a oh well never mind attitude but if I had got this reply I would be fuming!

Try writing to the very top of the tree, things like this very rarely get passed up

I am flabbergasted !

Reactions: 4 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not a Tesco shopper and never buy ready made sandwiches, but I would ask to see the duty manager and ask him/her to come with me to the grocery scales. They are accurate enough to work out how much to charge, so should be accurate enough for an estimate of the sandwich weight.
Since all nutrition info is basically estimated, that might do it. The weight of the packaging won't be enough to make much difference.
Hana

bonerp

looks like someone else from here has dropped tesco a line about it lol. They've now asked me to confirm which sandwich pack didnt have the weight, so just popped to tesco and confirmed their healthy living range chicken and bacon doesn't contain the weight, and neither do many others from several ranges.....

I've also given them the link to this thread! people power!!!!

Paul

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure if your confident enough with carb counting you can estimate the carb content of a sandwich within reason, I bought a sandwich shop baguette today for lunch and estimated that the carb value was about 80g of carbs, if unsure always underestimate and correct later if high, it's the same when eating out in a restaurant.

However Tesco do make some valid points about variations in weights, but that said they could still include the nutritional info and put in bold writing that they are approximate values.

C

catherinecherub

How many carbs do people think was in the sandwich?

On the Tesco website the answer is 42.2 carbs.
Although it says that the product is not currently available, you often find a discrepancy as to what you can buy in one of their stores and what they supply on the internet.

Looking at the list of ingredients I would say that it is far from a healthy choice.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250701842

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I actually liked their initial reply to be honest..

So many products don't have carbs on.. If u pick up anything from any garage in their heated up food section.. No carb values

If you buy anything homemade or go for meals to restaurants.. They don't have carbs on.

Sorry, down to you to be able to be able to guestimate in life... How do you get on for eating fresh food at home? Do you weigh every lettuce leaf? Every drop of milk in beverages?

Sorry... As much as I loathe Tesco I think its pathetic not to eat anything unless it has a carb value on the packet....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people