Test Meter Advice

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Hi, I'm type 2, (diet and medication controlled) diagnosed just under a year ago. My doctor doesn't believe in giving type 2s a test meter, however I'm interested in having one so I can monitor the effects different foods have on me. I'm struggling to choose though, so much choice, and I keep being drawn towards the ones that I like the physical look of the most (instead of which one(s) would suit my lifestyle better). So I'm after some advice.

Main reason for having it is so I can monitor effects different foods have on me, to work towards keeping my blood sugars level.
I travel a bit, so I'd prefer one that's fairly portable.
I'm not good with pain, so one that causes less pain would be best.
I've not seen any of the software that comes with some of them, but I think I'd like one that comes with software, so I can track progress.
Cost - one that's cheaper to get test strips/lancets for (I have access to Costco, so need to check which brands they stock).

What would you recommend?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A few points. The smaller, more portable ones may not have PC download capability so check that there is software available and it can download to your PC. These days they all seem to have similar lancets i.e. needle prick pain so may not be much to choose between them. Test strip costs is possibly the most imprtant consideration. I buy mine on the web from suppliers who will sell Vat-Free is you click the box; take account of shipping costs. I use the One Touch Ultra Smart normally as it has software and I also have the UltraMini for travel. The One Touch is fine but there are several other brands to choose from.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My father is type 2 diabetic and has to test twice a day because of his job. At his last meeting with his DSN at the doctors surgery, he was offered an alternative metre and test strips to the one he uses, the nurse said they are trying to get everyone to use the same monitor and test strips to save money. Is anybody else's GP practice doing the same?

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
purplekat said:
Hi, I'm type 2, (diet and medication controlled) diagnosed just under a year ago. My doctor doesn't believe in giving type 2s a test meter, however I'm interested in having one so I can monitor the effects different foods have on me. I'm struggling to choose though, so much choice, and I keep being drawn towards the ones that I like the physical look of the most (instead of which one(s) would suit my lifestyle better). So I'm after some advice.

Main reason for having it is so I can monitor effects different foods have on me, to work towards keeping my blood sugars level.
I travel a bit, so I'd prefer one that's fairly portable.
I'm not good with pain, so one that causes less pain would be best.
I've not seen any of the software that comes with some of them, but I think I'd like one that comes with software, so I can track progress.
Cost - one that's cheaper to get test strips/lancets for (I have access to Costco, so need to check which brands they stock).

What would you recommend?

I really like the Accu Chek Compact Plus which I happened to choose as my first one. It is all in one, quick, efficient and very portable. The lancets are easy and hardly hurt - just keep the setting down to about 1 or 1.5. I would recommend it. The strips drum is easy to drop in to load it up. The digital display is nice and clear and the batteries seldom need changing.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Thank you for the replies :)

I hadn't even thought of things like it being easy to load/battery life/display. I'm off to google the Ultra Smart and the Accu Chek mentioned here, see what they look like, and see where I can buy test strips from (and cost!)

Newman2508

There is a lancet device called "Delica" that I have found to be the best way to test/lance for blood.. I am not one for pain, but have found this device exceptional and minimal pain . I ordered one on AMazon , it was about $6. US. The One Touch meter is also excellent but expensive