Test Results...

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Hi guys & gals,

It's been a while but I'm still around. I had my latest set of results and, as usual, they're confusing!

Doctor rang and told me that the HBA1c has come back with two results: "4.2%" and "6". Assuming that the 4.2 is my actual HBA1c result, what would the 6 be? Average BG? Also - and I am not clued up about cholesterol - my LDL is 5.8 (bad, right?) and my HDL is 2.0 (good?).

So, questions are,:

What's the "6"?
Is 5.8 LDL bad and what's the recommended level for Type 1s?
I'm low-carb so naturally high-fat. What else can I do/avoid to lower my cholesterol?

MaryChristine

Hi

I may be completely wrong here, and apologise if so, but I'm just wondering if the result you were given for Hba1c has got muddled. The way that Hba1c is expressed is changing. Hba1c is now expressed as mmol/mol instead of as a percentage. For the time being though both values will be given, so possibly some confusion has arisen here as an Hba1c of 42 mmol/mol is equivalent to 6%.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

Ooops! For anyone who has already read this - I should have put 42 mmol/mol not 4.2 - sorry. I've corrected it now.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I was given 2 results at my annual check up a last week.
I was given 7.6 for my HbA1c and the other result was 8.9. I presumed the 8.9 to be my BG on that particular day when the test was taken.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree with MaryChristine about the confusion with your hba1c, and a reading of 6 is below target levels. The cholesterol readings are mixed bag, a LDL reading of 5.8 is quite high, and a HDL reading of 2.0 is very good. The recommended cholesterol target numbers are:

HDL-1mmoI/I or above for men; 1.2 or above for women
LDL-below 2mmoI/I
Triglycerides-equal to or below 1.7mmoI/I
Total cholesterol-below 4mmoI/I

Here is some good information from the British Heart Foundation about cholesterol:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/Keeping_your_hear ... terol.aspx

http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_hear ... d_fat.aspx

Nigel