1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Test Results...

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by acron^, Mar 25, 2010.

1. acron^

acron^ · Well-Known Member

Hi guys & gals,

It's been a while but I'm still around. I had my latest set of results and, as usual, they're confusing!

Doctor rang and told me that the HBA1c has come back with two results: "4.2%" and "6". Assuming that the 4.2 is my actual HBA1c result, what would the 6 be? Average BG? Also - and I am not clued up about cholesterol - my LDL is 5.8 (bad, right?) and my HDL is 2.0 (good?).

So, questions are,:

What's the "6"?
    Is 5.8 LDL bad and what's the recommended level for Type 1s?
    I'm low-carb so naturally high-fat. What else can I do/avoid to lower my cholesterol?

2. acron^

3. MaryChristine

MaryChristine · Well-Known Member

Hi

I may be completely wrong here, and apologise if so, but I'm just wondering if the result you were given for Hba1c has got muddled. The way that Hba1c is expressed is changing. Hba1c is now expressed as mmol/mol instead of as a percentage. For the time being though both values will be given, so possibly some confusion has arisen here as an Hba1c of 42 mmol/mol is equivalent to 6%.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

Ooops! For anyone who has already read this - I should have put 42 mmol/mol not 4.2 - sorry. I've corrected it now.

4. cocacola

cocacola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was given 2 results at my annual check up a last week.
    I was given 7.6 for my HbA1c and the other result was 8.9. I presumed the 8.9 to be my BG on that particular day when the test was taken.

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I agree with MaryChristine about the confusion with your hba1c, and a reading of 6 is below target levels. The cholesterol readings are mixed bag, a LDL reading of 5.8 is quite high, and a HDL reading of 2.0 is very good. The recommended cholesterol target numbers are:

HDL-1mmoI/I or above for men; 1.2 or above for women
    LDL-below 2mmoI/I
    Triglycerides-equal to or below 1.7mmoI/I
    Total cholesterol-below 4mmoI/I

Here is some good information from the British Heart Foundation about cholesterol:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/Keeping_your_hear ... terol.aspx

http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_hear ... d_fat.aspx

Nigel

6. acron^

That's great chaps, thanks a lot :) Useful info on cholesterol there.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook