Test strips.

carbo

Went for my 6th month check up and was told they had now cut my test strips so that I can only test twice a week. That really is nonsense. BG readings vary all the time and twice a week will tell you nothing.It is not my surgery the nurse explained it was orders from on high. I test before I go to sleep as I have had hypos in the past.This means I will have to eat more at my evening meal to avoid a hypo, consequently my HBA1C will rise. This, in turn could mean in the long run I will need more medical attention.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, budget cuts from high? oh dear this isnt good news and youre an insulin user too. :shock:
How many test strips do you use a month approx ?
Am asking to see if theyre setting a limit monthly to us type 2's.
For example I myself use up to 2 boxes of 50strips a month.
Its hard enough getting the balance right and then they start to take away the very 'tools' needed to find the right balance! :(
It certainly isnt just and fair is it.
Anna.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Carbo

It is fairly common for those with type 2 to be told that they need not test themselves and rely on HbA1c test (although I have them on repeat!). Generally, however, Type 1s and others on insulin are given strips for self-testing. My view is that it must be nearly impossible to control your food/insulin needs without testing and I would not like to have to do it Please see section 1.8.2 of the guidance here: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/1 ... /29390.pdf

Hope this helps

Doug

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Would you mind telling me which PCT your practice is in, Carbo? I'm making a list of those with a policy of limiting test strips for Type 2s.

If you use insulin, you need strips! Use the link Osidge has given you and go back and argue!

Viv 8)

trand

It is total madness to stop us t2's from having strips, I have been fortunate so far?? but I do not know how I would have managed without testing, apart from if I had done what I was advised ie; test once a week, boy! would that have been hard , would have had to kept a diary all week then adjust it weekly, is'nt there anything at all we can do to stop this madness?? I'm low carb and have sort of leveled out 6-7's, seem to be stuck there but feel ok,hav'nt got a clue what I would have done if I had'nt found this site though, not only getting advice but reading the threads, really helps.