TESTING FOR KEYTONES

caitycakes

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I should have a supply of those strips for testing for keytones (type 1)? I mentioned it to my diabetic nurse and she said I didn't need them, but I thought if I was ever ill and my blood sugar went through the roof that it was important to test for keytones as this can be very dangerous. I haven't been ill yet and my levels have never gone really high since diagnosis but when I was admitted to hospital initially I was 23 with +++ keytones. Should I push to get these strips for when I am ill? Also should I get the flu jab this winter? Do us diabetics qualify?

Thanks.

iHs

caitycakes said:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I should have a supply of those strips for testing for keytones (type 1)? I mentioned it to my diabetic nurse and she said I didn't need them, but I thought if I was ever ill and my blood sugar went through the roof that it was important to test for keytones as this can be very dangerous. I haven't been ill yet and my levels have never gone really high since diagnosis but when I was admitted to hospital initially I was 23 with +++ keytones. Should I push to get these strips for when I am ill? Also should I get the flu jab this winter? Do us diabetics qualify?

Thanks.

Hi

I would not worry about this If I was you as you only need to test for keytones if your bg is very high for a good length of time and you are unable to get it down using insulin. If this is the case then you should ring your dsn and follow her advice or go to A&E at your hospital to play safe.

Because of cost most doctors will not prescribe meters to detect keytones as it is pointless having one if it is only going to be used once in a blue moon. I have never had a keytone meter myself.

Regarding the flu jab, yes do get it done. All diabetics qualify for it so make an appointment at your gp surgery as soon as you see the notice come up on the surgery message board.

scottishkate

Hello!

Yup, you should definately get them. You should use them when you're feeling run-down, unwell etc.

Just ask your GP to put them on your repeat prescription - it shouldn't be a problem as the strips don't cost very much. :D

Katie.

caitycakes

Def going to get the flu jab, but excuse me for being such a coward and asking "does it hurt"? I hate needles even though I am a religious blood glucose tester and I have to give myself insulin. Sorry for being such a baby!

iHs

The flu jab is usually done by a nurse at your gp surgery. It just pricks a tiny bit but is nothing really. Its worth having it done as real flu can make you extremely weak for ages and you will not feel like getting out of bed and your bg levels will be messed up too.

Regarding the keytone meter, you can ask your gp but dont bank on him prescribing you one unless you are planning to go low carbing. You can get them on eBay sometimes fairly cheaply though.

gaynor

Hi, you don't need a meter to test for ketones. It is just a pot of strips that you dip in you wee and then they change colour to show whether you have ketones. A pot last 6 months once they have been opened. We were sent from hospital with a pot when my son was diagnosed. Go and ask your GP to put them on your prescription. At the most you would only ever need them once every 6 months.

Gaynor

caitycakes

Would keytones from low carbing be dangerous? I thought keytones from high glucose were the ones to worry about. I have been eating lower carb bread lately but for the last two days instead of 30g of carbs for brekkie on the dose of insulin I am on I am only able to eat half that and keep my levels in good order. Will it just be that my insulin needs are going up because I am maybe coming to the end of the honeymoon period? Before I reduced my carbs I was on about 160g per day. Now it's about half that but sugars appear to be rising on this amount. What do you think?

iHs

caitycakes said:
Would keytones from low carbing be dangerous? I thought keytones from high glucose were the ones to worry about. I have been eating lower carb bread lately but for the last two days instead of 30g of carbs for brekkie on the dose of insulin I am on I am only able to eat half that and keep my levels in good order. Will it just be that my insulin needs are going up because I am maybe coming to the end of the honeymoon period? Before I reduced my carbs I was on about 160g per day. Now it's about half that but sugars appear to be rising on this amount. What do you think?

I would guess that your honeymoon phase is now coming to an end so yes you will have to increase your insulin up a bit now to keep your carb intake balanced up with your bg levels.

Have a look at the threads on this forum regarding low carbing lol. i personally like to keep myself all ok diet wise so although I do have some of my meals low carb (I want to lose some weight to go to a wedding) I still eat about 80g carb per day and get good bg results. I just space the 80g carb out throughout the day and adjust my insulin accordingly.

caitycakes

I was hoping the honeymoon would last a bit longer, although I feel a stinky cold coming on and hope maybe it's to blame. I'll give it another couple of days and if no change will up the insulin a bit. Thanks again for your advice

caitycakes

iHs

LOL I was once told off a bit by my diabetes consultant regarding a rise up in my bg levels. I showed him my record diary and told him that I had been ill. His reply to me was "what is the the point of you recording your bg levels and you not doing anything to alter your insulin dose to compensate for the high bg". "Come on, use your brains".

I never forgot that and realised how correct he was. My advice to you is to increase your insulin if your bg is raised be it from a cold or whatever. Don't just leave it, you can always decrease it once you start getting some hypos.

caitycakes

What a day I had yesterday. I was bemoaning the fact that my levels were higher than normal and was eating a bit less to compensate when out of nowhere at work a routine test uncovered a 3.5 with no syptoms. Nearly fell of my chair. I treated this with 3 glucose tabs and a little carbs and so when I came to have my evening meal I was 9.3. Decided to have low carb evening meal, given that my insulin would be used trying to lower my high level and lo and behold another hypo at 3.4 also syptomless 2 hrs after evening meal. It was low carb not totally carbless!!! Treated this one rather more cautiously with some toast but it was having none of it so (joy of joys) I ate a chocolate bar. Went to bed some 3 hrs later at a disgusting 9.8 and assumed I would be through the roof this morning but wasn't too bad at 6.7. Don't know if when honeymoon coming to an end you get little spurts of production like this? Starting to feel like a yoyo!! lol.

Oh well at least I had a chocolate bar, although somehow it just doesn't taste the same when you're having it to treat a hypo, rather than slumped in front of the telly on a friday night with a half pound bar. My god I still can't believe those days are gone along with my post meal smoke!!!!!