Testing sugar and fingers

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone :)

I've only just been diagnosed with type one & test my blood sugar on a regular basis... But my fingers have started to get a little sore..

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is anywhere else you can draw blood from to test blood sugar (like the bottom of you fingers...) or if it always have to be the tip..?

:) x

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to rotate your tests...have left or right hand days...or even weeks...also use the sides of your fingers rather than the pads...they're a little less sensitive

Reactions: 10 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can, adjust the depth setting for the lancet - use the minimum that will draw enough blood for the test, and that should help. You may have to do a bit of trial & error, but start with a fairly low setting and work up or down till you feel comfortable. (If you re-use your lancets yo may have to re-adjust if they start to get blunt and therefore give more painful pricks again.)

HTH,
Robbity

PS Some meters allow for alternative site testing, but you may need to get an adaptor of sorts to be able to do rhis. Your meter manual should have information if the manufacturers offer this option. Or you could check their website.

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi,Markham_K, the least painful lancing device i have found is the accu- chek fastclix

Reactions: 6 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally, your index fingers and thumbs are more sensitive, so avoid using them. As already mentioned, use the sides of the fingertips.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Markham_K, the least painful lancing device i have found is the accu- chek fastclix
That would be my vote too...and you get 6 lancets in a nice little drum - so you never ever get to see any nasty pricky bits. Great if you have any needle issues/phobias. :D

Robbity
(who use to have to close her eyes and think of England before she dared prick her finger!)

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I use the side of each finger on one hand then all on ther other by the time I get back to the original site the soreness has gone. Remember too, not to press the lancet holder onto the finger before 'shooting' this would make the jab deeper and also cause soreness

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I posted nearly exactly the same question a while ago

I found if I try to keep to one hand per day (still end up forgetting which hand I'm on!) and use the sides of my fingers, keeping away from my thumb and index finger and looking for previous stab marks

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted nearly exactly the same question a while ago

I found if I try to keep to one hand per day (still end up forgetting which hand I'm on!) and use the sides of my fingers, keeping away from my thumb and index finger and looking for previous stab marks

I do odd-left, even-right. Start with both sides of the pinkie, then both sides of thumb, and no particular order after that. But the odd/even means that all I have to do is check a calendar to know which hand I'm on. My left hand gets a bit of an extra workout when the month ends in an odd day - but it makes it much simpler to keep track of.

Reactions: 4 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to only ever use one of two fingers on my left hand even when I was testing up to 10 times a day - I don't test that much now usually. If your fingers are sore it may be you are reusing the lancet too many times as it hurts more as it gets blunt or you are pressing too hard or it's on too high a setting.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Another vote for the Accu Chek, I use the one on the Accu Chek Mobile and hardly feel anything when I do the prick. I have mainly used the same two (littlest) fingers on my left hand, more or less at the same place. I have done over 30 tests in the last 3 weeks and don't have any soreness at all. And I have used the same lancet at the deepest setting.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Yeah definitely, as Natalie said - don't use your finger pads - ouch! No wonder they're sore! Bless you!
I actually make a point of doing a finger prick myself at the hospital/doctors because those sadists always go for the pads!

I use the sides of my fingers, doesn't hurt nearly as much! :)

Reactions: 6 people