testing urine

chrissieworne

Hi all, another question, I read somewhere on here that if BG is at 10mll or over there should be a reaction on the urine testing strips you can use. I am a bit perplexed because I have been over this and still don;t get anything other than negative on the strips, could they be faulty? They are in date.

Thanks Chrissie

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Renal threshold determines the blood glucose level at which glucose "spills over" into urine - 10mmol/l is the avergae, but it varies between people and even in the same person between times, eg different when ill with infection.
Urine test sticks can also be used to test for ketones, which may appear in urine at higher blood glucose levels.

chrissieworne

Hi Copecod

Thanks, are the strips to test glucose and ketones the same ones, do I need to check for Keytones? I am T2 on Gliclazide.

Chris. x

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically, one pad on each urine test strip tests for one thing, so if you have only one pad it will only test for glucose, but you can get strips that test for glucose and ketones or many more items, including glucose and ketones. However, once you open the pack, all strips need to be used within 6 months, I think. Another however, urine is a time lag from whta's happening in your blood, so tesing blood glucose is nearer instant. Blood glucose test strips are more expensive than urine test strips, and many GPs / PCTs are reluctant to prescribe for T2s - there are numerous threads o nthis topics, including strategies to try to persuade your GP to prescribe, particularly in early days to see how various foods affect you and to monitor effects of exercise and before driving in the longer term.

Keep bouncing, Tigger!