testing

juliegeorge13

Hi,
I'm new to this and mad as hell,diagnosed before Christmas (type 2) and told to control by diet, given a hanfull of leaflets and sent on my way with a we will be in touch. I was phoned by a practise doctor two weeks ago and asked to go in for a blood test. I then had to meet with this doctor for the results. She told me the test was awfull at 11.8 and I was obviously eating sugary things. I do not have a sweet tooth at all, do not eat chocolate, cakes biscuits fizzy drink or fruit juice, I know im odd but I dont like them. Show me a piece of cheese though and I will have your arm off. I asked if I could start testing my bloods myself so I could see what affected my levels for myself so I could have some real control, I was told certainly not and put on metformin. Is this normal treatment cos if it is I am going to war! I am going to buy my own gear and to hell with the doctor (she isnt even my doctor) I will have some control whether she likes it or not. Please feel free to advise.
Moan over, Jools :x

Aadrgon

Hi Jools and welcome

THe first thing you need to do is join a decent forum with knowledgable people in it so you've got that right already :)

The next stage is to forget the diet the Doctor has told you about as it probably contains alot of starchy high carb food. Read up on low carb diets - cut out things like bread. pasta, rice, potatoes ( or at least cut them right down.

You also need to test your blood glucose before a meal, one hour after and two hours after until you find what works for you and what doesn't. You NEED a meter to do this. Doctors don't like us testing for various reasons, one being the test strips are expensive. If the Doctor will not prescribe or give you a meter buy one - but try and get the strips on prescription. There are guidelines for Doctors about testing which they tend to ignore.

If you come up with any questions - ask - someone in here will be only to glad to help :)

MaggieAnne

Hi there, I sympathise with you but this forum is the best. I have read through lots of the information and links and found it extremely helpful. I bought my own meter (although also won one on the UK DIabetes site - so give that a try too) I purchase my strips as I could get nowhere with the GP or Nurse. Fortunately I and my husband both work so this is managable just now. I have followed the guidelines on this forum and have tested and tested and cut down the carbs. The results are excellent I have a much better idea of which foods affect my blood sugar the most and have now eased up on testing unless I have a different meal. I am pretty boring food wise! However, I still test regularly as I find it motivating when I am tempted back to my old bad ways.

Keep well, regards Maggie Anne

juliegeorge13

Hi,
Thanks for your advice, I am feeling really low just now so your help is much appreciated, I will be doing battle with my diabetes practise nurse tomorrow so wish me luck. I have a few other things going on in my life at present so the next few weeks are going to be tough and very stressfull, just what I dont need now. However such is life so I will quit moaning and just get on with it. Many thanks, its nice to know you are all out there. Jools :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jools, good luck today :D

Aadrgon

juliegeorge13 said:
I have a few other things going on in my life at present so the next few weeks are going to be tough and very stressfull, just what I dont need now. However such is life so I will quit moaning and just get on with it

Hi again Jools
Just remember there is nearly always someone on who can sympathise if you feel like a rant :)

Trinkwasser

Have a read of this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

then have a look through the Stickies and Success Stories threads

then buy a gun and put your doctor out of her misery! She obviously has no understanding of the condition, much like the dietician who told me to eat MORE carbs and less fat, which made my numbers so much worse that she accused me of noncompliance.

Sugar wasn't my problem either, it was starch.

Meanwhile ask around your friends, fellow diabetics, pharmacists etc. see if you can get a recommendation for a better doctor.

broads

"then buy a gun and put your doctor out of her misery" Trinkwasser. You did make me laugh. Seriously though why can't the people manufacturing test strips charge 4 or whatever, times as much for the meter and reduce the cost of the strips. My husband is a business man, not in this field and absolutely fumes as to the cost of them when he knows they cost a few pence to manufacture.

broads

Humble apologies juliegeorge13 I should have said welcome to the forum before I spouted forth. Whatever else m,may happen you can't go wrong at all but stay on this forum. Brilliant

Aadrgon

broads said:
Seriously though why can't the people manufacturing test strips charge 4 or whatever, times as much for the meter and reduce the cost of the strips

It's a business to them. The meter is either sold cheap or given away in order to gain money from the strips. most people will go through hundreds of pounds worth of strips before replacing their meter.

Trinkwasser

Aadrgon said:
broads said:
Seriously though why can't the people manufacturing test strips charge 4 or whatever, times as much for the meter and reduce the cost of the strips

It's a business to them. The meter is either sold cheap or given away in order to gain money from the strips. most people will go through hundreds of pounds worth of strips before replacing their meter.

Gilette "give away the razor and make the money on the blades"

see also inkjet printers

the cheap ones are more or less given away for the cost of the ink they contain

my new one cost about £700 of which around £400 was ink, the running cost is about half that of the el cheapo jobs. The big floorstanding guys are even cheaper to run but even more expensive to buy.

see also, software that you have to pay to upgrade every year

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear juliegeorge13
Get your doctor to look up NICE guidelines for newly diagnosed diabetes. You should be offered education and equipment.