Thai boxing?

martyclark

Hi people,
I have been diabetic around 3 months so im just beginning to relise alot of things, Basically i would like to take up Thai boxing i relise this would lower my blood suger levels and seek an answer on how i can keep levels gd.

Also see when my levels are around 9 or 10 i feel amazing is this starnge ?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hi Marty

Welcome to the forum.

Exercising is great for lowering sugar levels, but you need to be careful not to increase your heart rate too much as your sugar levels will rise rather than decrease.

This is a great link that explains about it.

http://www.runsweet.com/HeartRate.html

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Marty the training for any martial arts is very strenuous, personally I would get your diabetes under control before starting any strenuous exercise, once you get more used to the way your body is going to perform now you will be able to manage your blood glucose levels and make allowances for strenuous exercise, but its probably best to walk before you run.

It is advised never to exercise if your levels are higher than 12 or 14 mmol/L sorry I dont remember the exact number but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Marty,

As Sid says just be careful when embarking on strenuous exercise when you are newly diagnosed, the Runsweet site that didie provided is an excellent source for those who are type 1 diabetic and am sure you'll find some useful info there, if your still unsure then discuss your concerns with your diabetes team.

Mileana

When I was diagnosed, it took me a while to understand that my blood sugar was not too low as soon as it dropped under 8. My body was used to the higher levels and anything 'less than I am used to' would feel like a hypo, really. I think it is quite common. How are your levels normally?

-M

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Sid Bonkers said:
Marty the training for any martial arts is very strenuous, personally I would get your diabetes under control before starting any strenuous exercise, once you get more used to the way your body is going to perform now you will be able to manage your blood glucose levels and make allowances for strenuous exercise, but its probably best to walk before you run.

It is advised never to exercise if your levels are higher than 12 or 14 mmol/L sorry I dont remember the exact number but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with Sid 100%, I restarted exercise and I literally started with Zumba once a week, then twice a week - in the class environment I was able to stop, test and take more sugar if necessary etc. Now I just test before, half way through and end, making sure I start at highest 8 because I know I'll drop to around 5.

I then built up exercise and joined a beginner run group aiming to get up 3miles once a week. I've also incorporated some other stuff in recent weeks. I carry sweets in my pocket , my meter etc and just make absolutely sure I know when I last took insulin, take some carb before hand etc. It's a gentle enough level that I've never had to stop and test.

I used to do Thai Boxing but I had to give it up due to feeling ill, fatigued and nerve pain down my left arm constantly. Voila I was diagnosed with T1.5 Diabetes...

Although I'm now into some more strenous exercise of late, however I know I need to wait a bit longer before I throw myself into Thai Boxing, Boxercise, Spin.

I did try Boot Camp yesterday (which is some intense exercise!) to be extra cautious I kept testing at the 10 then 20mins mark in order to maintain glucose levels as I noticed I was seriously sweating and glugging on the 'power aid' every 10mins or so to keep glucose up, in hindsight this was absolutely the righ thing to do.

It helps that my sister is a fitness instructor and she is excellent with dealing with me on the occasions when I've dropped below the 4 mark - I've done some silly things like leaving the room to seek out more sugar even though I've taken the right amount already, or thrown myself straight back in instead of waiting 10mins and retesting...

Now with my improved confidence and fitness, I'm going to join the 10k beginner run group withthe aim of doing a race in September.

So as long as you are prepared to stop and test throughout and have the relevant quick sugars, snacks, etc etc then perhaps Thai Boxing shouldn't be the first thing to start with as I can imagine it's easy to get into it and ignore the hypo warnings...