Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first 3 month review yesterday and need to share.

I was 62kg at diagnosis, thanks mostly to the ‘undiagnosed diabetes’ diet, from a lazy lockdown max of 80.5kg BMI 29.9 this time last year. I’m now a happier and healthier 57kg, BMI 21.2.

I’ve consciously ‘exercised’ since diagnosis and walk at least 25 brisk minutes every day and my Garmin watch, probably not entirely scientifically, has re-assessed my fitness age from a shocking 69 before Christmas to 28, I’m almost 52.

All my FBC and cholesterol readings have all gone in the “right” direction, inc. non-HDL down from 4.13 to 2.96 and Cholesterol/HDL ratio reduced from 5 to 3.4.

And so to the big one, HbA1c, from the heady and scary heights of 129.5mmol/mol 14%, I am now at… da da dah… 36.6mmol/mol 5.5%! O.M.G.

*** WARNING - OSCAR Speech!***

I just really want to thank everyone on this forum and those I have chatted to on the side, for all your amazing advice, inspiration and patience with me, I couldn’t have got this far without you.

The enthusiasm and science of low-carbing promoted here are responsible for the route I've taken. I started aiming for <50g/meal, but now on <100g/day and feeling OK about it; though not going to lie, I’m still missing lots of things like crazy.

I have my private endo appointment in less than 2 weeks, when I hope to get a few answers about all those pesky auto-immune anti-bodies and high C-Peptide, and maybe I’ll get to cut the Metformin in half to 1g/day and see how I go too.

My BG meter shows a 90 day average of 5.4, versus the 6.2 equivalent HbA1c, but that only includes the odd post-breakfast or post-lunch test and no post-prandial levels measured at all for the first month, and I ate half a Christmas cake in small slices in those visually-impaired ignorant days. Thinking that when the time with ‘syrup for blood’ is totally excluded, this could well drop a little more. But for the first time in 3 months, I am not going to stress about spikes and lows tonight!

For now, I’m sending you all the virtual hugs of thanks, while I celebrate with an extra square of 90% Lindt and fizzy water x :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bravo

A magnificent result

And while you thank others , the constant in there was YOU

Marvellous, marvellous.

It may only be the end of the beginning of your journey.

But this part was full of joy
And I do love a happy ending :D

Bodes SO well for the future :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs HJG

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first 3 month review yesterday and need to share.

I was 62kg at diagnosis, thanks mostly to the ‘undiagnosed diabetes’ diet, from a lazy lockdown max of 80.5kg BMI 29.9 this time last year. I’m now a happier and healthier 57kg, BMI 21.2.

I’ve consciously ‘exercised’ since diagnosis and walk at least 25 brisk minutes every day and my Garmin watch, probably not entirely scientifically, has re-assessed my fitness age from a shocking 69 before Christmas to 28, I’m almost 52.

All my FBC and cholesterol readings have all gone in the “right” direction, inc. non-HDL down from 4.13 to 2.96 and Cholesterol/HDL ratio reduced from 5 to 3.4.

And so to the big one, HbA1c, from the heady and scary heights of 129.5mmol/mol 14%, I am now at… da da dah… 36.6mmol/mol 5.5%! O.M.G.

*** WARNING - OSCAR Speech!***

I just really want to thank everyone on this forum and those I have chatted to on the side, for all your amazing advice, inspiration and patience with me, I couldn’t have got this far without you.

The enthusiasm and science of low-carbing promoted here are responsible for the route I've taken. I started aiming for <50g/meal, but now on <100g/day and feeling OK about it; though not going to lie, I’m still missing lots of things like crazy.

I have my private endo appointment in less than 2 weeks, when I hope to get a few answers about all those pesky auto-immune anti-bodies and high C-Peptide, and maybe I’ll get to cut the Metformin in half to 1g/day and see how I go too.

My BG meter shows a 90 day average of 5.4, versus the 6.2 equivalent HbA1c, but that only includes the odd post-breakfast or post-lunch test and no post-prandial levels measured at all for the first month, and I ate half a Christmas cake in small slices in those visually-impaired ignorant days. Thinking that when the time with ‘syrup for blood’ is totally excluded, this could well drop a little more. But for the first time in 3 months, I am not going to stress about spikes and lows tonight!

For now, I’m sending you all the virtual hugs of thanks, while I celebrate with an extra square of 90% Lindt and fizzy water x :)
Wow, well done, brilliant results

RoughcutAU

Well done! Great achievement for everything to be going in the right direction.

Did the Endo/Team freak out about the great HbA1c? My last was 40 and they just assumed it was caused by too many lows even though I had alot of fingerprick data to suggest otherwise. Just don’t have Flash/CGM.

But i digress! Your efforts are amazing and a great pay off.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bravo

A magnificent result

And while I thank others , the constant in there was YOU

Marvellous, marvellous.

It may only be the end of the beginning of your journey.

But this part was full of joy
And I do love a happy ending :D

Bodes SO well for the future :happy:
Thank you, woken up still smiling:)

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! Great achievement for everything to be going in the right direction.

Did the Endo/Team freak out about the great HbA1c? My last was 40 and they just assumed it was caused by too many lows even though I had alot of fingerprick data to suggest otherwise. Just don’t have Flash/CGM.

But i digress! Your efforts are amazing and a great pay off.
Thank you :) Oh the nurse hasn't even reviewed the result yet (no surprise), I'm sure she'll come back with a negative slant somehow, and then remind me she was the one who gave me the glucose monitor, again:rolleyes:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are inspirational! You thoroughly deserve your success - we can provide the information, but YOU had to follow it for yourself. Terrific!

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are inspirational! You thoroughly deserve your success - we can provide the information, but YOU had to follow it for yourself. Terrific!
Thank you :) for someone who doesn't like being told what to do, I made the wise choice and just ignored the NHS advice!