Thank You Very Much

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I was diagnosed in January 2015 with an HbA1C of 53 and at my first checkup in April I had dropped to 42. My latest result from a test on 15th October is just in today and it was 38.

To say I'm chuffed is somewhat of an under-statement. I knew it was going to be lower than last time as I carry out regular tests with my trusty Codefree meter but it's always good to see the official reading.

At diagnosis, I had no idea where to start (my practice nurse said I should increase my exercise and lose some weight) and then I found this Forum.

The advice from the 'old hands' seemed to be working for others so I decided to adopt the LCHF 'diet' but with a little less fat. I don't really enjoy cream (unless it's in the form of ice-cream!) and some of the fat on meats make me feel sick. However, I love butter, olive oil, avocados etc. and I learnt to enjoy some different vegetables (celeriac especially).

It was difficult at first to give up bread (thank goodness for LIDL high-protein rolls), pasta, potatoes and rice but I stuck with it as I was terrified of some of the possible outcomes of ignoring the diagnosis.

The best bit of advice was to get a meter and see for myself what happened to my BG after eating certain foods. I was fixated on my readings for a while (cost me a fortune in strips) but eventually I settled down to only checking 'new' foods and periodically checking those that seemed to be OK. I still always do a fasting reading and a bedtime one and I still keep my carbs low. I don't know how low (or high) but I must be doing something right and I just 'eat to my meter'.

Now, I just need to keep my eye on things and I'd like to try small portions of porridge and lentil soup (both of which I still really miss). I don't think I really need to make sure my next result is lower than 38 but I don't want it to be any higher. Getting to this level is one thing but keeping it there is another!

Finally, I'd just like to say thanks to all the posters on here who have shown me the way to go and I'm really grateful for all the recipes I've 'stolen' and the motivation in others' posts (even the sad and negative ones have helped).

WeeFergus

PS - Since January I've also lost 22 kgs. as well as improved my cholesterol levels and my blood pressure figures.

Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Excellent result. Enjoy your little experiments, but keep testing to make sure you stay on track. Meanwhile, have a celebration. :)

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Most excellent @ WeeFergus! I hope I can do as well as you have with the weight loss.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good work there. Enjoy your achievement and keep it up!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing results....well done you :D I am sure many will appreciate what you are saying about the tremendous amount of help found here. Some wonderful people and nothing is ever too much trouble for them...always there when things get tough or when you're lost and confused. You have done brilliantly ,....keep up the good work. You are living proof that this disease doesn't have to rule our lives and that with good friends, help and advice it can be controlled. Congratulations :D