Thanks Forum

iani

I have been Type 2 since 2001, after initially taking this seriously I guess I let things slip over the years and led a fairly poor lifestyle. This resulted in my feeling awful and having a result of 104 (11.7) in February 2013. I was given 6 weeks to reduce my readings or go onto insulin so I resolved to try and improve things and found this forum. Through reading about low carb eating I realised I could make some changes that would work for me, I am a fussy eater and don't take a lot of things the NHS dietician tried telling me I should. Having cut out probably 80% of my carb intake since the 6th Feb I have now lost over 32lb in weight and have just been told that my bloods are now at 40 (5.8) I feel a whole lot better, I have more energy and my clothes no longer fit :D

Thanks forum for your help with this.

Ian

benedict

Administrator
That's great news Ian! It's amazing that you were on the brink of needing insulin and then pulling things round so effectively.

It sounds like you're comfortable in your new way of life too, which is great.

You say you were taking readings, can I ask, on behalf of others who may be inspired by your success, how many tests you needed to take (per day or week) to achieve your drop in HbA1c?

Thanks for letting us know about your success :thumbup:

Benedict and the Diabetes.co.uk team

iani

benedict said:
That's great news Ian! It's amazing that you were on the brink of needing insulin and then pulling things round so effectively.

It sounds like you're comfortable in your new way of life too, which is great.

You say you were taking readings, can I ask, on behalf of others who may be inspired by your success, how many tests you needed to take (per day or week) to achieve your drop in HbA1c?

Thanks for letting us know about your success :thumbup:

Benedict and the Diabetes.co.uk team

I needed to understand the impact of everything I was eating or drinking, this wasn't possible on the 50 strips I'm allowed every month so I bought a load myself direct from the manufacturer. I was testing 4 - 6 times/day for 3 months, I have reduced the frequency now as I have a much better handle on how I'm doing and my weight loss has slowed right down. I didn't want to diet as such as this doesn't tend to last, the changes I have made need to be sustainable and so far, so good. The last remaining challenge I have is with alcohol, I like it, fact, it's the one thing that I find difficult to manage from a blood sugar perspective although having some chips with the beer does seem to balance things out fairly well. :mrgreen:

Roman

Great news .... well done !

Beer was hard for me to give up - but a nice glass of red wine makes a perfectly acceptable substitute without affecting my BS.

Cheers !

'It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word'

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear that after your diagnosis in 2001 and, despite the fact that you lapsed into bad habits again, you could still control your diabetes through diet. It's nice to know that this inevitable progression that we are all told about isn't a one way fast lane to insulin. Good on you for slamming yourself into reverse gear.

Agree totally about regular self monitoring by the way. It stops bad habits creeping in.

Alton0

Beer was hard for me to give up - but a nice glass of red wine makes a perfectly acceptable substitute without affecting my BS.