Thanks to all who helped/gave advice

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello you lovely lot!

Just received the fantastic news my HbA1c is now 42 (cue the Hitchhiker's jokes, for those of a certain age)- down from 61 six months ago.

My Diabetic Nurse has taken me off all my medication - this turnaround is thanks to the many forum members who passed on excellent advice about low-carb diets.

To those who messaged either privately or on the Forum, Thank YOU a million times over.

For anyone new to Type 2, if I can do it, so can you. It is tricky at times but ONLY YOU can make the lifestyle changes and beat T2.

I'll be lurking around still, just to try and help someone if needed.

Thanks once again, you lot helped me change.

Kev

Reactions: Joona and Oldvatr

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and well done on turning your Health around. Success stories like yours are very inspirational to those who are newly diagnosed especially and demonstrate how quickly changes can happen.

LINMARIE

Hello you lovely lot!

Just received the fantastic news my HbA1c is now 42 (cue the Hitchhiker's jokes, for those of a certain age)- down from 61 six months ago.

My Diabetic Nurse has taken me off all my medication - this turnaround is thanks to the many forum members who passed on excellent advice about low-carb diets.

To those who messaged either privately or on the Forum, Thank YOU a million times over.

For anyone new to Type 2, if I can do it, so can you. It is tricky at times but ONLY YOU can make the lifestyle changes and beat T2.

Kev
Hello you lovely lot!

Kev
Hi Kev
What an encouraging message to read on this dark and dreary day where I live. Well I am into the 4th week of my very low carb and sugar diet and I am hoping that my results will be as good as yours when I visit the hospital beginning of May. I had a reading of 52 last may and it had come down to 51 in December 2021 but I had no idea as didn't know how serious this all was and I was on a completely wrong diet for a diabetic! so lost a small bit of weight hence the reading going down one point. I decided not to take the tablet when offered in December (even though the nurse said they might help me to lose weight) but I proved her wrong on that one as a fortnight later I was over half a stone lighter and she said to continue as you are doing so you must have the personality that you want to succeed if you put your mind to something so yes she is correct on that. I am really into this new way of eating now and I wouldn't eat a potatoes or crisps if you paid me ha ha. I am trying to learn and absorb as much information that I can.

Great news you are off the tabs. I have read on here other success stories but the bit I am not quite sure with is even if you come down to a "normal" level is that "normal" for a diabetic person or a "normal" reading for a healthy non diabetic person?
Also does it mean that you will still have to watch every carb you eat in the future even if your levels come down lower (not just for weight wise) but that the carb would have a detrimental effect on the body compared to a "normal" healthy person - hope you get what I am trying to say.

Anyway I not nowhere near that stage but mind is whirring ahead but definitely reading posts like yours gives me the incentive to continue as I am doing.

Reactions: jessj and pinkfoot

BoringBrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework
Well done Pinkfoot, and thanks for sharing.
You must feel really chuffed and it’s all your hard work.
Keep zapping the carbs

Reactions: pinkfoot

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @LINMARIE .
My nurse gave me the following stats this morning 42-47 is on the edge of diabetes, below this figure is considered what a person without diabetes may register.

I have really been quite strict and have only had one 'treat' of Naan bread and Rice with a Curry, I spiked at 13 on my meter two hours after, I won't be doing that again!

My diet is Game, red meat and white meat with a bit of fish, all above ground (bar onion and leeks) veggies and it works for me. Breakfast this morning was Cumberland Sausage with Bacon, Duck Egg, Mushrooms and Tomato.

Tonight is confit Pheasant leg/thigh, I'm fortunate to have access to as much Game as I can get in the fridge/freezer, so eat well!
Yes, I will have to watch every carb for the rest of my days, it's not too bad now and I'm getting used to eating out and people looking at me a bit weird when I say 'no potato or below ground veg, please...' :)

I wish you all the success and willpower in the world, I hope you achieve your goals quickly, mine is to get below 40 now.

Reactions: Joona

LINMARIE

Congratulations and well done on turning your Health around. Success stories like yours are very inspirational to those who are newly diagnosed especially and demonstrate how quickly changes can happen.
Hi Shelley

Your readings are good and lovely to read. Can I ask as I am so new to this
Hello @LINMARIE .
My nurse gave me the following stats this morning 42-47 is on the edge of diabetes, below this figure is considered what a person without diabetes may register.

I have really been quite strict and have only had one 'treat' of Naan bread and Rice with a Curry, I spiked at 13 on my meter two hours after, I won't be doing that again!

My diet is Game, red meat and white meat with a bit of fish, all above ground (bar onion and leeks) veggies and it works for me. Breakfast this morning was Cumberland Sausage with Bacon, Duck Egg, Mushrooms and Tomato.

Tonight is confit Pheasant leg/thigh, I'm fortunate to have access to as much Game as I can get in the fridge/freezer, so eat well!
Yes, I will have to watch every carb for the rest of my days, it's not too bad now and I'm getting used to eating out and people looking at me a bit weird when I say 'no potato or below ground veg, please...' :)

I wish you all the success and willpower in the world, I hope you achieve your goals quickly, mine is to get below 40 now.
Hello @LINMARIE .

Thank you for your reply and explaining it more to me. Wow sounds like you eat well my local Tesco wouldn't know what game is probably direct me to the toy aisle haha although it did start selling Ostrich in the NewYear which was very low in everything so that is on the menu this week. Keep up the good work and let me know how you get on with your numbers.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelley

Your readings are good and lovely to read. Can I ask as I am so new to this

Thank you for your reply and explaining it more to me. Wow sounds like you eat well my local Tesco wouldn't know what game is probably direct me to the toy aisle haha although it did start selling Ostrich in the NewYear which was very low in everything so that is on the menu this week. Keep up the good work and let me know how you get on with your numbers.
Hi welcome to the forum you’ll learn a lot on here on how to reduce your blood sugars mainly by eating low carb.ive been eating low carb / keto for four and a half years now and enjoy so much and keeps me well so don’t intend to change way I eat talking of which we have a low carb what did you eat thread today see
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2409
You’ll get lots of ideas there plus you can record what you eat if it helps you too.
Another great place for low carb way of eating is
https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
Lots of ideas, advice and resources on there many of which can be accessed for free.

Last edited:

andromache

Hello you lovely lot!

Kev
I also am of an age to know that 42 is the right answer. What a result!