That voice in your head...

Mr Happy

I came across a statement I made a few years ago about having diabetes:

"I have diabetes. It doesn't necessarily define me as a person, just negates me putting too much away for my retirement. It has though put a little person in my head that stops me living life with the gay abandon of a 'normal' person".

Now this got me thinking, with some of the recent posts on here about diabetes causing rage or anger, are our minds now set up a little differently from everybody else?

When it comes down to it the majority of us will have to start and end the day in the same manner, testing our sugars, our first and last thought of the day. We don't leave the house without packing some kit and our thoughts centre around the forthcoming meals...

But where am I going with this? Well it's that nagging voice in my head... "check your sugars, 8.2 that's a bit high, 10 units, did you change the needle, remember your monitor, you've a meeting at lunch, remeber to check it's diet, you can't have that".

It never shuts up!

Worse still when my sugars are low. Who else gets someone psycho-analysing them followed by intense calm, confusion then self loathing? I start by a kind of outer body thing, then am almost talking to myself, almost trying to coach myself through. Thereare also times when the whole paranoia thing kicks in, "tthey're looking at you weird, no they aren't,maybe you do look weird, I'm ok, stop talking to yourself, shut up..."

Is anyone with me or am I psychotic?

Unbeliever

Not psychotic . Just honest. I am T2 but with diabetic eye disease and have to keep my levels stable to preserve my sight which is affected almost immmediately by highs or lows - and my treatment options are almos t exhausted.

I know sometimes I do things which appear odd to an onlooker because of my sight problems. I have people asking me if I am OK in shops and other public places because I can't see hings which are obvious to others but which appear to me as something else entirely. I donlt wear glasses so people just think I have mental health issues.. Sometimes this can be amusingis sometimes not.
My chin shakes when my sugars are low, I am not aware of it others tell me .when it happens
I often want to shout" I am not crazy -just diabetic."
Of course as a slim T2 they probably wouldn't believe me.
You are not alone Mr Happy.

jfyie123

I would certainly say that, at some points, im being controlled by my diabetes rather than the other way round! I often feel limited by it although I may just have a negative mindset!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SpaceChick

Whilst I obsessively meal plan to balance/minimise my carbs, I will not allow my diabetes to define me as a person. I just find different ways of getting excited. It does help that we have an allotment, and when we pick veg I can plan to cook seasonally which keeps up interest and excitement. So I don't feel limited, just alternatively inspired :wink: