The AccuChek (aviva expert) monitor & Time Blocks?

zoeee

Hi everyone - I've recently been put onto a new monitor (The accuchek aviva expert) which is great because once it's all set up properly it should be a lot easier to manage carb counting etc and i may finally be able to get my levels vaguely under control!

I had it set up at my check up at the hospital, and they put me on 2 units of humalog per 10 carbs just as a starting point so that we could go from there, and i'm seeing them again in january to see how it's going.
But - I'd like to reduce the amount I do to 1 1/2 units per 10 for my evening meal, because I've been having hypos every night and in the past I did less units at night because of the same problem (- but don't think it's the lantus as it seems to be working okay during the day and I used to be on higher levels of it/lower humalog and not experience the hypos?)

But I can't remember how to use the time blocks and obviously as it's christmas time my diabetes nurses will be off! So I thought I'd ask here - I could just do some guesswork & reduce the amount I do by a few units, but then my results aren't going to be very clear in January.
Does anyone have one and understand the time blocks? How would I set it up so that it's just my evening meal I do less amounts for? (I usually eat around 9pm but can be a lot earlier or a bit later so it's quite varied!)
Would I put a time block in for say... 18:00 - 06:00 as that is evening meal at its earliest, & overnight? or would it be 18:00 to 22:00 ish which is the gap where I'd actually eat?

Eek, that was quite babbly - hope it made a little bit of sense!
Thanks in advance (and merry xmas!) x

FindingNemo

My 9yr old has this meter but I'm not sure where all the instructions are as everything has been squirreled away in various random places to make space for Christmas. I will try having a look for you in the morning, if not boxing day. He has had the meter for a couple of months now and it has bought much finer control. His averages were ok, but with fairly dramatic swings, where he runs closer to the average most the time now and is pretty much independent with everything, his CHO counting, if he thinks the meter is suggesting something he disagrees with he checks with us and normally we are in agreement and he overrrides the monitor inputting all the data himself, it has been brilliant for him.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
His zoeee - before going on the pump I used the meter. Had 3 time blocks for food running from midnight to 9.30am (to cover later weekend breakfasts) 9.30 to 15.30 which covered lunch and then 15.30 until midnight to cover eventng meal.

Obviously if it eat in between at say 17.3 the carb ratio might not be accurate as my blocks were based on eating meals around the same time.

Hope this helps. Happy Christmas :)