The Banana Diet - an early "treatment" for coeliac

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interesting article and very typical of a lot of our official nutritional guidance and beliefs.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a horrible article. And it only tells part of the story...

Thanks to Sidney Valentine Haas, who went on to create the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, my inflammatory bowel disease, a condition that is primarily treated with drugs and surgery to this day, remains in remission thanks to his diet that has been in use for more than 50 years.

Since my diagnosis 27 years ago, I've only had two IBD flares thanks to his diet.

This condition caused the early deaths of my father, then a few years later, his sister. Dr. Haas' work changed the course of my life.

Read a more complete re-telling of this innovative doctor's contributions, and of those who continued his work following his death here in this article...

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/05/the...t-is-backed-by-124-years-of-research-testing/

Incredibly, two years prior to his death, he was still treating children in New York City in 1962 at the age of 92. He saved Elaine Gottshall's young daughter from the surgeries used at that time to treat ulcerative colitis and other inflammatory bowel diseases.

Elaine spent the rest of her life teaching the diet through lectures and her book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Following her death in 2005, authors Pamela Ferro and Raman Prasad continued the work followed by neurologist and neurosurgeon Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride with her book, Gut and Psychology Syndrome, which describes a similar diet referred to as the GAPS diet.

This man's work led to the restoration of health in countless children and adults. Happily, a few children's hospitals around the country are finally returning to using it again...

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is similar to the low carbohydrate and Paleo diets used today to treat a variety of "chronic" health conditions, including diabetes.

Last edited:

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Fascinating article for me so thank you both.
I'm type 1, coeliac and suffer from Bile Acid Malabsorption.
I follow a gluten free diet however I can eat a meal one day and be fine but repeat it 2 or 3 days after and I can have an adverse reaction.
I have not been on here long and you will never find me commenting on diet type posts as its difficult to explain my issues.
I have researched a gluten free lifestyle to the nth degree but have not looked into its history so found the links interesting and useful.
Just for the record Winnie 53 your link to the SCD kept asking me about Leaky Gut Syndrome and I did a bit of research a few years ago and its not recognized here in the UK unlike the USA.

Thanks again and all the best

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Ha ha
Only just realised...
Look at my signature!
Its a quote from my favourite tv programme..........

Tony

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @Tony337 I understand. The concept of "leaky gut" and it's contribution to the development of autoimmune conditions is well understood by functional medicine practitioners, naturopaths, and chiropractors, but not so much by traditionally trained medical doctors in the US. The UK is no different. :)

I had the $500 genetic test for celiac. I don't have it. Why I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity is unknown. I've eaten a strict gluten-free diet since 2011. Sadly, I developed a number of autoimmune conditions prior to that. I choose to not eat gluten containing grains and now greatly limit all other grains too, which has been great for my type 2 diabetes. My goal is to not eat anything that can lead to the development of additional autoimmune conditions. The two I have are problematic enough.

I personally use M.D.'s for acute care, and a mix of carefully chosen M.D.'s, functional medicine practitioners, and naturopaths for care of my autoimmune conditions. Thankfully, eating strictly gluten-free 99.9% of the time is easier now in the US with the stricter labeling requirements. We even have a restaurant that's both vegan and gluten free-opening up soon in the next county over from us. :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Yes @Tony337 I understand. The concept of "leaky gut" and it's contribution to the development of autoimmune conditions is well understood by functional medicine practitioners, naturopaths, and chiropractors, but not so much by traditionally trained medical doctors in the US. The UK is no different. :)

I had the $500 genetic test for celiac. I don't have it. Why I have non-celiac gluten sensitivity is unknown. I've eaten a strict gluten-free diet since 2011. Sadly, I developed a number of autoimmune conditions prior to that. I choose to not eat gluten containing grains and now greatly limit all other grains too, which has been great for my type 2 diabetes. My goal is to not eat anything that can lead to the development of additional autoimmune conditions. The two I have are problematic enough.

I personally use M.D.'s for acute care, and a mix of carefully chosen M.D.'s, functional medicine practitioners, and naturopaths for care of my autoimmune conditions. Thankfully, eating strictly gluten-free 99.9% of the time is easier now in the US with the stricter labeling requirements. We even have a restaurant that's both vegan and gluten free-opening up soon in the next county over from us. :)

Hi Winnie
I agree and understand everything above.
My own goal is to avoid bad guts and the problems that come with it.
I am 4 days into a settled period and that brings its own anxieties because it will end!
I have tried everything and there is no constant to be found in food/drink and medication and I have actually resorted to just using loperamide with is from the imodium family to settle things as in the past I have tried powders and colesevalem both of which have been inconsistent.

I have coeliacs and had the dreaded camera confirming this about 8 years ago and had a sehcat scan to diagnose Bile Acid Malabsorption and along with type 1 diabetes for the last 43 years I still feel somewhat miffed.

I wish you well

Tony