The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Is undoubtedly an uncut loaf, let me explain....

When I was first diagnosed I limited my bread intake to two slices of Burgen a day as a sandwich for my lunch but after I gained decent control and had maintained it for a while and having lost a fair amount of weight I tried branching out into the world of wholegrain breads and tried a few before settling now on a Sainsbury's Rustic Multi Seeded loaf.

Years ago we were offered three sizes of loaves, thin cut, medium cut and thick cut but nowadays it seems that no supermarkets have the ability to cut thin slices any more, why is this?

A thin sliced loaf will always have fewer carbs and calories per slice so it is ultimately better not only for a diabetic but for anyone who is dieting or simply watching their waistline, so why is it supermarkets no longer offer this service?

I am forced to buy uncut bread and rather than have it sliced at the supermarket as I used to I have to cut my own slices, not that big a deal I hear you say, perhaps not, but surely if we as a nation are getting bigger as we are told on an almost daily basis, would it not be a good idea if thin cut loaves were once again offered to shoppers?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't know why they stopped offering a choice :? If I remember right it was always the thicker cut loafs that were last on the shelves to sell.

After reading Yorksman posts about bread I've been buying Morrison's Uncut Pumpernickel Loaf from their in-store bakery, have to say it's really nice (especially toasted) and great when it comes to those all important bg numbers!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had this discussion with a friend before and we have a conspiracy theory! The thicker the slices, the fewer there are. So you ultimately end up buying more bread.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thundercat said:
Have had this discussion with a friend before and we have a conspiracy theory! The thicker the slices, the fewer there are. So you ultimately end up buying more bread.

I do like that one.

In the same vein, but coming from an opposite tack, my lecturer (many years ago) had previously worked for a very large bread manufacturer. He told us that 'new, improved', meant that the chemists had found another way of fluffing-up the loaf because more CO2 was produced by the mix, making the consistency of the loaf 'lighter'.

It all sounded wonderful to those trying to lose weight. The manufacturer was thrilled too, because the price went up, but his ingredients bill was reduced on every loaf he sold....

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate seeing the word "improved" on anything. It nearly always means it no longer tastes as good :(

I remember reading that steam is pumped into bread mix to make loaves rise more which is why bread goes mouldy before going stale.