The Carnivorous Diet - Published in the British Medical Journal 13/02/1886

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shocker!

"Sir, - On Friday, January 8th, I read the account of Dr. Salisbury's treatment in the Pall Mall Gazette, and determined to try the effect of it in my own case. Seven years ago, I weighed 11 st. 12 lbs. (height, 5 ft. 9 in.), and when I trained for my college-boat I always lost five pounds. A month ago, I weighed 14 st., so I was at least two stone above my weight. If any of my lean brethren wish to know how I felt, let them put on a top coat with two stone of shot stowed away in the pockets, and wear it for a single day. When my friends congratulated me on my aldermanic appearance, their compliments were as gall and wormwood to my soul. If they had felt as I did, that the hills of life were growing steeper, and that the pleasure of living was contracting in a daily narrowing circle, they would have condoled with instead of congratulated me.

For the last six weeks, I have lived on lean meat and hot water, or its equivalent, and yesterday I weighed 13 stone. I have taken a pint of hot water (130° Fahr.) at 7 A.M.; a pint of "schoolroom-tea" with a squeeze of lemon in it at 11.30 A.M.; the same at 3.30 or 4 P.M.; and a pint of hot water (130° Fahr.) at 10 P.M.; a pound of beefsteak at 8.30 A.M.; a pound and a quarter at 1.30 P.M.; and a pound at 6.30 A.M. This has been hot, but preferably cold, and has been varied with hare, chicken, etc.

The result is this. I am a stone less in weight; I am six inches less in girth; my gouty "heirlooms," in the shape of "hereditary deposits," have disappeared; my flatulent indigestion has vanished; my mental and bodily activity have doubled; I spoke on Thursday for an hour with less effort than I did in December for ten minutes; I sleep for seven hours without moving; I can wear gloves and shoes a size smaller; I have lost my tendency to catch cold; my muscles are daily hardening; my kidneys are doing their duty nobly; my figure is altering so rapidly that my tailor is in despair, but I am triumphant.

When I have completed the course, if you will spare me room, I will finish my tale, and relate the lessons I have learnt in dietetics and therapeutics during the experiment. - Yours faithfully, Ben Rhydding, Leeds. JOHN FLETCHER LITTLE."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2256728/?page=1