The Chemist In The Kitchen

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting article on the science of cooking that we used to instinctively know in the good old days. Our grannies knew more than we credit them, and these skills are now being delegated to the white coats in the factory.

http://kitchenscience.sci-toys.com/acids

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That took me back many years to my city &guilds college course for the catering industry - we did 3hrs of food science a week - these days NVQs have deskilled the industry IMHO - lots of things not made from scratch, my nephew was doing his NVQ level 1in cookery and was making an apple pie for an assessment- they were using tinned apples and ready made pastry, the reason being the skill test was assembling the apple pie as most places would now buy in fillings and pastry! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
....my nephew was doing his NVQ level 1in cookery and was making an apple pie for an assessment- they were using tinned apples and ready made pastry, the reason being the skill test was assembling the apple pie as most places would now buy in fillings and pastry! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
That takes me back more years than I like to admit, to when my very much younger sister's homework was to create a recipe: hers fo an apple pie was:
pastry
apples
then pastry again

She obviousy didn't get her cookery skills from my late mother who was a keen pastry cook and baker - this was I think her main love and hobby! But it still makes me laugh after all this time and is my all time favourite recipe! :wideyed::D

@Oldvatr I'm certainly no chemist and have never really known the science behind things, but am definitely old enough to know a number of the actual techniques. - gained I imagine by a process of osmosis! My mum never taught me anything about cookery though and I had to teach myself fro scratch, and one of my best ever buys was a domestic science/cookery textbook.

Robbity

Reactions: lovinglife