The dangers of hydrogenated fats

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi,

Just wanted to point out the dangers of hydrogenated fats (or more disguised now as trans-fats). For some reason some of the UK population has been mis-informed and hydrogenated or trans fats are still existant in a lot of our foods and the labelling isn't clear either. These are fats that cannot be digested through the body and form enzymes which can cause conorary heart disease and cancer amongst other diseases. It is important for UK consumers to limit (if not eliminate) trans-fats in their diet to obtain optimum health. A link is below for more information:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/food_matters/ ... ef_history

Thanks,

Rachael

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Essentially, if your solid fat is made from an oil that is usually liquid, it is likely to contain trans fats.
so much for " Healthy" sunflower or olive oil margarines. Butter is better and as far as I can find out, Lard is very good for you.
Bead and dripping ayone? but make it low carb bread.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
hanadr said:
Essentially, if your solid fat is made from an oil that is usually liquid, it is likely to contain trans fats.
so much for " Healthy" sunflower or olive oil margarines. Butter is better and as far as I can find out, Lard is very good for you.
Bead and dripping ayone? but make it low carb bread.

Yes and make sure the bread doesn't have the hydrogenated fat in also.. as some breads do and it isn't labelled. I knew butter was good but didn't know about Lard! The 'healthy' sunflower and olive oil labelling is incorrect yes... the UK government should do more.

Also there is some more information here:-

http://www.bantransfats.com/abouttransfat.html

I hope people soon realise that we are what we eat and if trans fats are anything to go by... that is a walking talking potentially heart diseased generation. Well we are in the UK anyway - Denmark and North America has banned these fats in most cases and the rest of Europe has ensured that if there are some of these dangerous fats in the processed foods then they are clearly labelled. Let's hope the UK eventually follows suit.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Too right Rach
I used to make my bread with a little butter, when I ate bread.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Before your time ,I suspect,Rach but we used to have a huge thread on this subject from a member,Carefix,some of the older members may remember him.When I have time I will try and dig out some of his postings.

Rach79

Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
Before your time ,I suspect,Rach but we used to have a huge thread on this subject from a member,Carefix,some of the older members may remember him.When I have time I will try and dig out some of his postings.

Hi yes if you could I would be very interested - thank you.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
May be later today,I'm drowning in Christmas cakes at moment! :lol: :lol:

Thirsty

The whole saga (at least on this board) may be read here.

The latest research appears to show that Carefix was incorrect in blaming transfats for causing type 2 diabetes. I always thought (and still do) that he was giving people false hope, which is quite cruel and potentially dangerous.

You are, of course, free to make up your own mind.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thanks,Thirsty,that's saved me digging! this thread was hugely controversial at the time,newer members can make their own minds up about it.

Jenny

Is that very verbose thread worth reading? If the 'theory' had been correct there are many who subscribed that should by now be 'cured'. Drowned in silence methinks.

Nevertheless the amounts of transfats allowed in foodstuffs does appear to be very heavily regulated in some parts.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There were quite a few who followed his regime and had good results from it,sadly I don't think they are on the forum anymore.Quite a few did not transfer when the 'new ' forum started.

Thirsty

Sue, there were many who followed the CIS oil approach alongside other changes in diet and lifestyle. The lovely, much-missed Chocfish was amongst them.

Sadly, It's just not possible to attribute lower BG levels to one particular aspect of your new regime, especially if you're taking meds.

Seriously, if Carefix/John Midgely or whoever he really is had the answer, don't you think that the drug companies would be flocking to his door?

Trinkwasser

Two scary facts about trans fats

[1] they were introduced to replace "dangerous" saturated fats like butter

[2] early results suggest their replacement (whose name I can'tt remember just now as I smell lamb chops and rosemary) are even more dangerous

Ironic eh?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Thirsty said:
Sue, there were many who followed the CIS oil approach alongside other changes in diet and lifestyle. The lovely, much-missed Chocfish was amongst them.

Sadly, It's just not possible to attribute lower BG levels to one particular aspect of your new regime, especially if you're taking meds.

Seriously, if Carefix/John Midgely or whoever he really is had the answer, don't you think that the drug companies would be flocking to his door?

Why would they flock to his door! He would have put them out of business.We can't even get DUK to admit that their dietary advice is wrong!

Thirsty

With around two million diabetics in the UK alone, don't you think that marketing CIS oils, effective or not, would prove to be enormously profitable?

Has anybody here been cured?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Not that she would ever user the word 'cured' but Chocfish did manage to come right off all medication etc and now controls her diabetes with diet only.I also think one of the Claires did as well sometime back.

Thirsty

Sure, and I'm truly happy for her.

All I was trying to say is that she took a whole heap of healthy options and turned her life around. Did taking CIS oils help? The latest research says not.

*Shrug*

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
This is from Sainburys website seems the've got the message.

Sainsbury’s were the first major supermarket in Britain to set a date for the banning of hydrogenated vegetable oils (HVOs) from our own brand food and drink .

From 1 January 2007 all own brand food and drink we make will now not contain hydrogenated vegetable oils*. We began the initiative the year before when we presented our suppliers with the huge task of removing HVOs as well as flavour enhancers from the all Sainsbury’s branded products.

Our suppliers and product technologists went back to the kitchen to face this challenge without adversely affecting the product quality and taste you expect from our products.

Why are hydrogenated fats are often used by manufacturers you may ask. Well, they provide key functional properties in food and drink such as regulating its structure and its hardness, but they have been linked to heart disease due to the formation of trans fatty acids (aka trans fats) often being a by-product of hydrogenation.

So, with all the HVOs, transfats will largely be eliminated from Sainsbury’s processed branded products, although it is important to note that HVOs do occur naturally in dairy and meat products.

What is hydrogenated vegetable oils

The British Medical Journal believes food containing trans fats should be clearly labelled. Sainsbury’s believes food shouldn’t contain them at all.

Basically these molecules (see figure1) are a by-product of the hydrogenation of fats, a process used in part to increase food’s shelf-life. Unfortunately when consumed they also increase LDL cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease. No wonder the British Medical Journal has called for the labelling of the trans fat content in food to help you make healthier choices. However, we think we can do even better.

So as part of our commitment to being ‘best for food and health’, we,ve removed hydrogenated oils and fats and from everything we make.

Thirsty

graham64 said:
So, with all the HVOs, transfats will largely be eliminated from Sainsbury’s processed branded products, although it is important to note that HVOs do occur naturally in dairy and meat products.

You did notice this bit, didn't you?

Any opinions from our low-carbers?