The Diet Plate

broads

ie the one you can buy for around £18. Does anyone have and use one ? Is it effective as regards cutting down meal size? Thanks

bufferz

seems a lot of money for a plate, have you thought of using a smaler plate, therefore reduced portions anyway?

viv1969

I serve my husband's meals on a regular dinner plate and mine on a plate about a third smaller in size, (maybe a little smaller). I find it's working a treat. I am steadily losing weight and I no longer feel intimidated by a full plate. (portion size was becoming a real issue for me). But my smaller plate cost me 1.99 from the TU range at Sainsbury.

Quick Edit.....Of course this is only working because of what types of food I'm putting ON the plate too. It's a real combination.

frazzledcat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Bills and needles
I know the plate you mean. It's always advertised in magazines, I have self debated about if for years but knowing me i'd smash it after a few days and be so gutted.

You could always make your own with special paint. I always had a bigger plate than my dinner set..my reasoning that i was bigger so needed bigger meals....hence to say i'm using a smaller plate now :lol:
kelly x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Synonym said:
Can't see the point of it really. :roll:

I can't either, and I certainly wouldn't pay £18 for one! :shock:

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If anyone is seriously interested in buying a 'diet plate' I will be happy to sell you one for only £10.00 :lol: :lol:

banjo brunette

Another vote here for just eating off a smaller plate. I moved to a slightly smaller dinner plate, then on to a side plate and the Husband got the 'smaller' dinner plate... We both come from families where a plate that wasn't stuffed to the rim wasn't a decent meal :mrgreen:
Save your 18 quid, I say.
Cheers, BB :D

xxxleonadxxx

Hi there, I get specially prepared meals (delivered) and when plated they fit perfectly on my kids plates.

I do have a plate thats split into three (e.g protein/carbs etc) but have to admit buyng the baby/young kids was cheaper and just as effective xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
If anyone is seriously interested in buying a 'diet plate' I will be happy to sell you one for only £10.00 :lol: :lol:

I'll beat you on price Sid, six pounds each or two for a tenner.................. :wink:

Paint brushes at the ready!

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One clever use of a plate I saw once was to have one of those with the wide flat rim and fill only the centre part of it.
Hana

A

Anonymous

broads said:
ie the one you can buy for around £18. Does anyone have and use one ? Is it effective as regards cutting down meal size? Thanks

I looked at these and found it was just so overpriced and didn't really fit in with what I knew would be good for my diabetes control. So, all I did was got all my dinner plates, shoved them in a cupboard and used side plates as I think I have read on here other people do. That certainly cut down my portions and reduced those all important (NOT) carbs in my diet. I still use them and if ever I am given a meal at friends on ordinary plates now it looks HUGE ! Most times I can't finish the meal. I think it's all in the mind.
As for these plates, I think you should return it and get your money back. Spend it on some good wholesome fresh food. :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the comments. I have got the plate and bowl and have started using it and am finding very useful.

I tried to use a smaller plate a few times but always reverted back to the normal plate.

It's not just the plate it's the information booklet that comes with it that i have found helpful.

I've been using the plate for a week so far and have gone from 17.4 to 16.12 and don't feel hungry.

I deceided on buying the plate as i needed information on portion control and could not find any.

So again thanks for the comments (not helpful at all), hopefully i can give positive feed back on the plate over the coming weeks.

And Diabestes.co.uk agree with the plate because they sell it on their web site.

Catherine

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
lunatickharvey said:
I've been using the plate for a week so far and have gone from 17.4 to 16.12 and don't feel hungry.

I deceided on buying the plate as i needed information on portion control and could not find any.

And Diabestes.co.uk agree with the plate because they sell it on their web site.

Catherine

I'm glad your numbers are going down, keep doing what you are doing! :)

Portion control is pretty easy when you consider that you carry your portion sizer around with you - your cupped hand is the perfect measure. 8)

Incidentally, I have worked for many companies who sold things that made them cash, you could say that it was their raison d'etre! :)

C

catherinecherub

If it is working for you Catherine then carry on using it. Congratulations on the weight loss. Are you able to test your blood sugars?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
the figures 17.4 to 16.12 is my weight.

I have also been monitoring my blood sugars and all have been under 7 this week, which is amazing for me as my morning sugars wew always in the high 9's

It's working for me so far.

I am also under the diabetic nurse at the hospital and have my next appointment on the 15th June.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Catherine

Synonym

Dislikes
lunatickharvey said:
I have also been monitoring my blood sugars and all have been under 7 this week, which is amazing for me as my morning sugars wew always in the high 9's
It's working for me so far.

Catherine

Well done you! Keep doing what you're doing. 8) :)

Synonym

Dislikes
lunatickharvey said:

Catherine

Just a thought Catherine :idea:

You mention your weight but what about your BG levels :?: Are you testing before and after your meals and what sort of numbers are you getting :?:

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I just use the 'palm of the hand' measurement. One handful of protein and 2 of low carb vegs or salad. And I don't mean a heaped palm :lol: Just what will comfortably fit in the palm. :D :D