The epetition

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Squire Fulwood said:
The question I would like to ask is if there are more than 38000 members of this site why have less than 4000 of them signed the epetition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20537

Because there aren't 38000 active members of this site. I'd doubt that there are anywhere near 4000 active members (ones who read or post regularly) and even if there were, not all of them would agree with the petition strongly enough to sign it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
and some of us get our strips for free, and probably don't worry too much about those that have to pay for them...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just click on the member icon to discover the status of the vast majority of members.
Most have never ever posted, people who lurk for a few days, spammers, researchers, people with multiple logins, people who once posted but no longer do. I
I don't know how many active members and regular 'lurkers' there are It would be interesting to know. I doubt if it it is anywhere near 4,000. Within the active group there are those that disagree with the wording, those who feel it doesn't concern them and people like myself who don't live in the UK.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So really there is just the eight of us listed at the bottom of the page. OK maybe there are more that will be on later but I think it's a bit misleading to claim 38000 when that number probably represents how many members there have ever been but most of whom do not participate.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie. I don't suppose we could entice you to vote could we? Think of us who might have to pay £15 for 50 strips.

desidiabulum

Of course one way to get signatures on the e-petition up to 40,000 would be if every current signatory would persuade ten friends/family to sign it. Worth a try?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Squire Fulwood said:
borofergie. I don't suppose we could entice you to vote could we? Think of us who might have to pay £15 for 50 strips.

Ha ha. I meant that royal "us" rather than me. I buy my own strips. I doubt that anyone spends more money on diabetic gadgets than I do, such as ketone meters and A1CNow kits, (well apart from the self-funded pumpers).

I helped draft the petition.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
desidiabulum said:
Of course one way to get signatures on the e-petition up to 40,000 would be if every current signatory would persuade ten friends/family to sign it. Worth a try?

It is worth a try. Also I was looking up the terms and conditions regarding who could create or sign a petition and it said the following.

To create or sign an e-petition, you must be either:
a British citizen
a resident in the UK (you normally live in the UK)

It doesn't say that you have to be both, just either one or the other. Can Oz claim to be British still?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You need also to remember that the popular media also paints T2 diabetics as "fatties that did it to themselves". Our cause is not always a popular one, even in the wider diabetic community, and we are often unfairly labelled as a drain on NHS resources.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't know there was an e-petition as I tend to ready only certain boards at this forum (Type 1, Youth, Pumping, Questions and Discussions), I have signed it now :)

A

Anonymous

Squire Fulwood said:
desidiabulum said:
It doesn't say that you have to be both, just either one or the other. Can Oz claim to be British still?

Here in Oz we have our own govt and health system. We are part of the commonwealth though, but I don't think that counts for your petition. I'm neither living in the UK or a UK citizen. Oh, and we're definitely not british... although there are a lot of expats from UK here. :lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
You need also to remember that the popular media also paints T2 diabetics as "fatties that did it to themselves". Our cause is not always a popular one, even in the wider diabetic community, and we are often unfairly labelled as a drain on NHS resources.

There are many issues in your comments to which I don't have answers.

I wonder why people would join a site like this and not vote for adequate treatment.

Mod Edit (Pneu): Type I and Type II are both serious conditions to suggest that one community is more or less important.. or that one doesn't support the other (which on this forum we all support each other).. is not justified.

I only asked a simple question but it is getting more complicated by the minute.

desidiabulum

Squire Fulwood said:
borofergie said:

There are many issues in your comments to which I don't have answers.

I wonder why people would join a site like this and not vote for adequate treatment.

Mod Edit (Pneu): Type I and Type II are both serious conditions to suggest that one community is more or less important.. or that one doesn't support the other (which on this forum we all support each other).. is not justified.

I only asked a simple question but it is getting more complicated by the minute.

I think you may be over-interpreting the paucity of signatures. It took me a long time to notice the e-petition. As T2 numbers continue to soar they will constitute a pressure group in themselves, with or without T1, if they organize properly.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Getting a bit bitter and twisted, are we Squire?

The ePetition is voluntary and a matter of individual decision.
Pushing people and bad mouthing T1s isn't going to help.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Squire Fulwood said:

It's not really evident here - because we have an intelligent and reasonable community. But if you visit the DUK or DCUK Facebook pages, you can see a rampant T1 vs T2 split, mainly from the parents of T1 kids who they think are unfairly labelled as "fatties" because of the media association between T2 and self-inflicted obesity.

It was a good question. It's a pity we didn't get more signatures.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
LittleGreyCat said:

That's not fair! Squire was simply responding to my point about T2 diabetics not being seen sympathetically by the entire community. It was my suggestion, if you object to it, then take it up with me. It's not an argument you'll win, mind.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LittleGreyCat said:

Not bitter and twisted at all. Also not bad mouthing anyone since I didn't appreciate there was bad feeling until this thread.

However I think I will take the answers I already have and skulk off into the background before the mods accuse me of inciting a riot.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Squire Fulwood said:
However I think I will take the answers I already have and skulk off into the background before the mods accuse me of inciting a riot.

Don't do that. I was an interesting and thought provoking question. It's a pretty emotive subject. You didn't do anything to warrent skulking.