The first 24 hours....

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
... have been great :D

Started pumping 9.45am yesterday with BG of 10.1 (pre-breakfast hypo and no morning Levemir).
11am BG 8.7
12.30pm BG 7.2
4pm BG 7.9
6.30pm hypo (3.6), had 10 carbs of Lucozade
7pm BG 6.9 pre-dinner
10.30pm BG 9.3. No correction - dinner included a large salad, several hypos after salad recently so injected afterwards, hence ?BG still raised from dinner
2am BG 8.1
4am BG 7.0
6am BG 7.6
Breakfast 6.30am, by 9am BG 7.3

Not perfect, early days, but better than I dared hope. No massive hypo in the night like mum was worried about, either. I'll sleep better tonight.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Those readings look great for your first day pumping! :)

Nigel

iHs

Hi

I also agree with Nigel. No need to do anything yet to basal or bolus. I try to get my bg levels to be on around 7mmol mark every 2-3hrs, so at the moment, you are doing very well.

Enjoy the rest of the day :))

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys.

Up to 10.1 before lunch today, but DSN says don't correct unless more than 13 before meals, just watch what happens as the Levemir fades out.

I'm pretty impressed. Compared to previous estimates of doses when changing insulin etc this is spot on.

LittleSue said:
so injected afterwards

I meant bolused afterwards :roll: .. old habits die hard but I remembered not to inject :lol: :lol:

jopar

Little Sue

What you also need to remember is that it will take 2 or 3 days for the remaning background insulin to burn out your system.. So might find after a couple of days things get a bit rocky, but that's when you can start to pin down your basal rates with basal testing etc, easier to sort out the night times first..

As to your verious carb/insulin ratio's remember if your basal is out so will these be, so basal get the basal right first before tackling the fine tuning of the carb/insulin ratio's..

But saying that some nice results for the first day indeed.. Hopefully an indicator that your settling and working out is going to be relatively easy affair

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi sue,

Sounds like it's going great after the first 24 hours :)

the background insulin may still affect you like mentioned so you'll be able to get stuck in more after it's definately out your system.

also a good idea to do night testing in the first few days, especially with the extra insulin! and i think it's best to get the nightime basal sorted first to avoid those naughty hypos :)

hope it keeps going so well for you :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still at 10 before dinner despite some walking this afternoon, but I'm cool with that. Better a bit high than lots of night hypos.

Too right I'm testing at night! May not write them all down on the sheet for the DSN, but will test for my own peace of mind. She only seems to expect me to do that on days off/weekends, but from experience I'm cautious.

jopar said:
Little Sue
Hopefully an indicator that your settling and working out is going to be relatively easy affair

Certainly hope so, but won't be surprised if its tricky. At least I've actually got started now so I'm on the way. Test results are just factual numbers, not a reflection on me personally. (Clumsy wording but you get the idea.)

Off to bed now. Completed my first day for 38 years without any injections :D