"The glucose excursion" meaning.

romario

Hi! I'm not a native speaker and understanding the meaning of certain terms is so complicate for me. I read an article about a new gadget ( http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33579&p=315909&hilit=gadget#p315909 ) and dont understand the meaning of the next part of text.
================================
When the patients used the device, the glucose excursion during 250 minutes after the start of the meal decreased by 23.9 mg/dL per hour whereas without using it, excursion levels decreased by 63 mg/dL per hour. The corresponding figures at 120 minutes after the start of the meal were 28 mg/dL per hour and 96.4 mg/dL per hour.
================================
Would you please explain me what "the glucose excursion" means?

Thank you in advance.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I think what it means that the isulin injected into the site will be flushed into the body's circulation more quickly when the divice is used. :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As far as I know, "Glucose Excursion" is the amount that the blood glucose changes/increases in the target time. It's a very important thing in preventing complications.
You can have a good aerage BG, such as 5.5 with either large or small excursions. that'a where only measuring HbA1c is so useless. It measures average and NOT excursions.
Hana

AMBrennan

My 0.02$:
However, on testing the device in 10 individuals with Type 2 diabetes (mean glycated hemoglobin level (HbA1c) 8.1%
That's a suspiciously small sample. Plus, you tend to get better results when you stick to treating only the sickest patients.
This difference was significant from after 55 minutes and for up to 140 minutes after eating.
That sounds like statistical trickery, specifically "hypothesis suggested by the data" (do you think they set out to test if there is a significant difference after 55 minutes exactly? More likely that they didn't find a significant difference after 30min, 40min, 45 min, 50 min, 55 min - bingo!)

It's a decent exploratory pilot study (get ten guys to use it, gather a ton of data to see if there's anything worthwhile), but it would be highly premature to draw any conclusions about the effectiveness of the device.